none
Migration of alerts to SharePoint Online RRS feed

• Question

• We are using AvePoint DocAve to migrate contents to SharePoint Online.

Problem is that all alerts are triggered and users can end up with a lot of alert emails. As I know there is no way that we can configure emails in SPO and have no control over turning on/off alerts in SPO.

What are my options for this scenario?

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that you wanted to turn off the alert in SharePoint online.

As far as I know, in SharePoint server we could turn off the alert in Central Administration to disable the alert for all the web application.

However, in SharePoint online we could not turn off the alert.

If you don’t want to use the email filtering rule, we could delete all the alerts from every list, library, folder, file, and list item. 

To speed up the process you could search for alerts by user, with the option Display alerts for.

As this is the forum for the SharePoint server, I’m not familiar with the SharePoint online.

I recommend you can post your question to the forum for SharePoint Online:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/forums/154.aspx.

More experts will assist you, then you will get more information relation to SharePoint Online.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jason Guo
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by JasonGuo Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lindali Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:38 AM
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Adi,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your SharePoint Online migration. Please feel free to reach out to our technical support team at any time for help resolving this issue:

http://www.avepoint.com/support/

Best regards,

Franklin Teagle

AvePoint Community Manager

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:20 PM
  • Thanks Franklin. I've been in constant contact with AvePoint support which is brilliant.

The suggestion I got from AvePoint is to temporarily put email filtering rule to drop all emails from no-reply@sharepointonline.com but if we do that then there are chances that genuine notification and workflow task emails will also be dropped altogether during the migration window.

So I'm out here looking for what Microsoft has to say about this.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:21 AM
  • Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that you wanted to turn off the alert in SharePoint online.

As far as I know, in SharePoint server we could turn off the alert in Central Administration to disable the alert for all the web application.

However, in SharePoint online we could not turn off the alert.

If you don’t want to use the email filtering rule, we could delete all the alerts from every list, library, folder, file, and list item. 

To speed up the process you could search for alerts by user, with the option Display alerts for.

As this is the forum for the SharePoint server, I’m not familiar with the SharePoint online.

I recommend you can post your question to the forum for SharePoint Online:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/forums/154.aspx.

More experts will assist you, then you will get more information relation to SharePoint Online.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jason Guo
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by JasonGuo Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lindali Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:38 AM
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:21 AM