none
2 factor authentication on SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For a client we have to design application with 2 factor authentication on SharePoint 2013.

I have few questions here:-

1.       Is 2 factor authentication is possible only with SharePoint 2013 cloud or it is possible even with SharePoint 2013 on-premise also?
    2.       Client is already using RSA secure ID for other application (Non SharePoint).
      1.        IS RSA dependable for SharePoint application also?
      2.       What other tokens working well with SharePoint 2013?
    3.       What are the steps to design 2 factor authentications in SharePoint 2013?

Pl reply only if you have real life experience. Don’t share link. It is urgent.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As of now Microsoft is not providing two factor authentication for sharepoint 2013. there are third party vendors who supports the same (Comodo's secure , DS3 are the few companies)...

Regards  Roy Joyson
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered"/"Vote helpful" if this solves/helps your problem.

Roy Joyson

Friday, September 20, 2013 7:50 PM
  • hi roy johnson,

Thanks for reply. but i need more detail reply. can any one with real life experience can reply to these?

Is 2 factor authentication is possible only with SharePoint 2013 cloud or it is possible even with SharePoint 2013 on-premise also?

Client is already using EMC RSA secure ID for other application (Non SharePoint). IS RSA dependable for SharePoint application also?

What are the steps to design 2 factor authentications in SharePoint 2013?

•       Is 2 factor authentication is possible only with SharePoint 2013 cloud or it is possible even with SharePoint 2013 on-premise also?
  •       Client is already using RSA secure ID for other application (Non SharePoint).
    1.        IS RSA dependable for SharePoint application also?
    2.       What other tokens working well with SharePoint 2013?
  •       What are the steps to design 2 factor authentications in SharePoint 2013?
Saturday, September 21, 2013 6:32 PM
  • What can be done in SharePoint is set up a Trusted Identity Provider which supports 2FA.

Here is a Microsoft resource:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj679342.aspx

The 2FA is not enforced by SharePoint, but SharePoint trusts the STS which supports 2FA.

Let us know your findings.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:00 PM
  • RSA has what is called a webagent that runs on top of the site on the wfe....however it's difficult to have users ,manage their PINS b/c unless you publish the self service console externally. Which is not recommended. I am also looking for the best solution. Any suggestions? I have the webagent working but would like to know if there are better in the sense of ease of user management. Rsa does offer a cloud based solution but can be pricey. I would like a challenge response integrated with AD. This is an on prem environment
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 4:36 PM
  • Hello MHD22,

One option is to have users connect to the SharePoint server using VPN from a device that supports 2FA. Sonicwall, for example does have 2FA support built in under the hood for VPN connections. Then access the SharePoint site over the VPN tunnel using an internal IP.

Another option is to use a service such as DUO Security to connect to a terminal server using 2FA and from there access the SharePoint site using an internal IP.

An the last option I can think of is to restrict access to the SharePoint site via your firewall to whitelist of public IP addresses.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

Saturday, December 7, 2019 4:02 AM
  • Hey Mdh22,

https://www.riolinx.com/extradium/WebPages/Extradium.aspx

This is a product I used at my old place of work. It was actually quite easy to setup etc. Not advertising the product or anything, but it's something I used that allowed for 2FA and geolocking etc.

JUST NOTICED THE DATE FIRST POSTED. :|

If this is helpful please mark it so. Also if this solved your problem mark as answer.

• Edited by taylor.l Monday, January 6, 2020 9:48 AM
    Monday, January 6, 2020 9:47 AM