none
SharePoint 2013 Office web app server change SSL certificate change to Wild Card RRS feed

• Question

• We have SharePoint 2013 Farm

We need to change the SSL certificate of Office webapp server to Wildcard certificate can you help me how i need to change the certificate do i need change anything in SharePoint farms as we have 2 front end servers.

will there be any difference if we use Wild card certificate instead of SSL as we have SSL certificate like office.abc.com we need to change Wildcard certificate *.abc.com please let me know what are all the steps we need to follow this is the first time iam installing certificate.

Friday, November 1, 2019 11:54 PM

All replies

• Make Sure you have installed the Wild Card Certificate in all the OWA Servers, then try running the below command. however you might face some challenges after running the command for that the resolution is change the Settings.xml like below.

Set-OfficeWebAppsFarm -CertificateName 'Wild-Card_Certificate_Name'

Settigns.xml File Location : C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OfficeWebApps\Data\FarmState\settings.xml

<Setting Name="CertificateName" DataType="System.String">Wild-Card_Certificate_Name</Setting>

Below article for your Reference:

http://jon.netdork.net/2015/09/03/replace-ssl-on-office-web-apps-farm-and-certificate-not-found/

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Saturday, November 2, 2019 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

Please find the below article to understand and change the SSL certificate:

https://whitepages.unlimitedviz.com/2014/10/how-to-use-a-wildcard-certificate-with-office-web-apps-2013/

Troubleshooting Office Web Apps SSL Issues:

https://www.c5insight.com/Resources/Blog/tabid/148/entryid/837/troubleshooting-office-web-apps-ssl-issues.aspx

Key notes to remember:

If we plan to change the certificate - we must do it before the certification expiry, after expiry there is no way to update it. 

Thanks&Regards,

Habibur Rahaman

C# Corner MVP,Project Lead,MCA,MCSA,MCP,MCTS,MS TechNet Wiki Author(Gold Medalist).

My Certificates

Note: If you feel the proposed answer is helpful, please mark as so or if this answered your question,please mark as answer.

Saturday, November 2, 2019 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

There won’t be any difference if you switch to wild card certificate.

Make sure you reboot your OWA server after running "Set-OfficeWebAppsFarm" command.

Also make sure that the certificate is installed on every server in your farm and the friendly name of the certificate is set to the same value on each server.

Besides what Sharath and Habibur have provided, here are some more references for you.

What’s The Difference? Wildcard Certificate vs Regular SSL Certificate.

How to change the Office Web Apps / Office Online Server Certificate.

Please note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, November 4, 2019 6:37 AM
  • Hi,

I'm checking how it is going on with this issue.

Please remember to update this thread if you have any progress.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:17 AM
  • After Certificate Update i have set the certificate in the farm ... few documents are opening in the excel web app and word web app but for one web application it throwed errors in the site collections while opening pdf's,word,excel error "sorry there was problem we cannot open this pdf"

Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:32 AM
  • Hi,

Does this issue happen only in one web application while the others are in well function? Does this happen to all word, excel or pdf files in this web application?

If that’s the scenario, can you share how you have updated the certificate for Office web app server? It will help identify the cause of this issue.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Monday, November 18, 2019 7:21 AM
  • After Adding Host Name in the WEb App farm it got fixed ... UIam able to see the office documents online.

Thanks & Regards,

Raghavender

Friday, December 6, 2019 12:18 PM