none
Extremely slow application response because of regional format RRS feed

• Question

• We have legacy MFC based desktop application, our application is loading configurations/settings from a file.

Our application was running quite nicely on Windows 10 until we updated to 1903 Build. Application takes a lot of time(sometime 2 minutes, if everything works fine then same application takes 3-5 seconds) at startup to load configuration/settings file & overall application behavior is also very slow.
    we tried different ways to solve the issue. At the end we found out that regional format in Windows 10 is making trouble with European languages (English-Finland, English-German etc), we concluded based on our different combinations of display language and regional format. [The following is the workaround to solve the issue]

-> If display language of windows 10 is English other than English (United States) or English (United kingdom) then regional format should be English (United states) or English (United Kingdom). [English (World) also works]

-> For other languages, display language & regional format should match with each other. For example, if German is selected as display language, German should be selected in regional format.

-> English united states & English(World) as regional format always work irrespective of display language.
    Anyone else having similar kind of issue? What would be the possible fix for this issue? Is this issue related to default encoding of files to UTF-8 encoding in Windows 10? 

Is it possible that some language packs are incomplete? especially European English language packs.

• Edited by Ahmed_T Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:40 AM
    Sunday, November 10, 2019 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that display language is not related to regional format, at least European languages. 

I change the language English(not US or UK), regional format is still the before one, no change.For example, my regional format is English(Uganda), change the English any country, the regional format is still English(Uganda). Not only English unired states and English(World). About regional format data, all English languages are similar to US or UK.

It's just that the defaults are different. They can always be changed.

Is there any misunderstanding about your issue? Please feel free to tell me.

In What's new for Windows 10 Insider Preview Builds 1903 and What's new in Windows 10, version 1903 IT Pro content, I fail to find anything helpful.

Could you provide me the app for more tests? And how the app load the files?

Best regards,

Jeffrey

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 11, 2019 3:19 AM
  • Hi, 

Issue is:

- If display language is English (other than English US or UK), and regional format is English (other than English US or UK) then our application behavior is really slow..

I just updated my question, we did workaround to solve the issue & that workaround is mentioned in the post. Regional format does not change automatically to the selected language and that is not our issue also. 

Br,

Ahmad

Monday, November 11, 2019 12:06 PM
  • Regarding the default encoding issue, if you can know the file that needs to be loaded, modify its default encoding mode and run the program again to see if it is the default encoding issue.

You need to confirm which API is called in the program, or the logic problem causes the program to run slowly.

E.g:
    Use the setlocale function to set, change, or query some or all of the current program locale information specified by locale and category. locale refers to the locality (country/region and language) for which you can customize certain aspects of your program. Some locale-dependent categories include the formatting of dates and the display format for monetary values. If you set locale to the default string for a language that has multiple forms supported on your computer, you should check the setlocale return value to see which language is in effect. For example, if you set locale to "chinese" the return value could be either "chinese-simplified" or "chinese-traditional".

_wsetlocale is a wide-character version of setlocale; the locale argument and return value of _wsetlocale are wide-character strings. _wsetlocale and setlocale behave identically otherwise.

Best regards,

Jeffrey

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 3:05 AM
  • It is not encoding issue, i just changed the encoding of file to UTF-8 and still the same issue and mentioned work around worked.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:33 AM
  • If older windows build was already installed (Older than 1803), everything works fine even if we update windows to 1803 or 1903 [If English US or UK was already installed as default language when Windows was freshly installed]. In this case, if we remove English US from windows, then problem starts. Then only the mentioned workaround works.

The problem started with fresh windows installation even with build 1803, in this case mentioned workaround is the only solution at the moment.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:12 AM
  • Hi Ahmed_T,

It seems to be a potential issue, I suggest you go to the Feedback Hub to feedback this issue.

Best regards,

Jeffrey

MSDN Community Support

• Edited by Jeffrey Shao Thursday, November 14, 2019 3:30 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 3:24 AM
  • Hi Jeffrey, 

Thanks for the suggestion. I reported the issue to Feedback Hub.

Br,

Ahmad

Thursday, November 14, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

If you have any feedback, please update here so that others with similar problems can find a solution.

Thanks very much.

Best regards,

Jeffrey

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:14 AM