none
multilevel sequential approval workflow in sharepoint designer 2007

Question

• Hello All,

I have to create the workflow in which user will submit the data in infopath form and it will get stored in form library. in infopath form only, will have field like employeename, supervisor, HR.

if first supervisor will approve the workflow den mail will go to the employee that his request is approved and has been forwarded to HR for approval. if it is rejected den workflow will send mail to employee that his req is rejected and worrkflow will stop.

once supervisor approves the req, mail will go to the HR for approval of req. if he approves it den employee will get mail that his req is approved and wrkflow will stop. if rejected den same rejected mail will go to the employee and WF will stop.

I have to make this workflow in Sharepoint Designer 2007 only.

Could anybody please help me in solving this issue?

Thanks in advance!!!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:14 AM

Answers

• You are storing your InfoPath form in form library, so create below workflows using SharePoint designer which will start when you will submit/add InfoPath form in library.

Please follow the instructions as below:

1. Open SharePoint Designer 2007
    2. File>Open Site to open the site where "Request Form" is located
    3. File>New>Workflow to create a new workflow
    4. Type in Workflow name "Request Email", Choose SharePoint list "Request Form" on the drop down, and choose the start option, in your case, automatically start this workflow when a new item is created then click next
    5. Change Step 1 to a title of your choice, such as "Notify for Approval/Reject"
       a. Choose Actions "Send an Email"
       b. Click "this message" link
       c. Specify To, CC, Subject and body. (You can add link to the item by selecting URL Path)
       d. Click OK
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Finish
    [Up to this point it sends an email when a new item is created in "Request Form"]

8. File>New>Workflow to create a new workflow
    9. Type in Workflow name "Approve or Reject", Choose SharePoint list "Request Form" on the drop down, and choose the start option, in your case, automatically start this workflow whenever an item is changed then click next
    10. Type in Workflow name "Approval Email", Choose SharePoint list "Request Form" on the drop down, and choose the start option, in your case, automatically start this workflow when a new item is created then click next
    11. Change Step 1 to a title of your choice, such as "Notify for Approval/Reject"
       a. Choose Conditions and choose "Request Form" field
       b. Click "field" link
       c. Click "Approval Status" field (This could be different name)
       d. Click "value" link
       e. Choose "0;#Approved"
       f. Choose Actions "Send an Email"
       g. Click "this message" link
       h. Specify To, CC, Subject ("Approved") and body. (You can add link to the item by selecting URL Path)
       i. Click OK
    12. Add 'Else If' Conditional Branch and Type in Workflow name "Rejection Email", Choose SharePoint list "Request Form" on the drop down, and choose the start option, in your case, automatically start this workflow when a new item is created then click next
       b. Click "field" link
       d. Click "value" link
       e. Choose "0;#Rejected"
       h. Specify To, CC, Subject ("Rejected") and body. (You can add link to the item by selecting URL Path)
       i. Click OK
    13. Click Finish

So in this way you can develop the multilevel workflow using SharePoint designer.

Mark if this is helpful or let me know.

Amit
    • Marked as answer by Chengyi Wu Friday, February 19, 2010 4:18 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:02 PM

All replies

• You are storing your InfoPath form in form library, so create below workflows using SharePoint designer which will start when you will submit/add InfoPath form in library.

Please follow the instructions as below:

1. Open SharePoint Designer 2007
    2. File>Open Site to open the site where "Request Form" is located
    3. File>New>Workflow to create a new workflow
    4. Type in Workflow name "Request Email", Choose SharePoint list "Request Form" on the drop down, and choose the start option, in your case, automatically start this workflow when a new item is created then click next
    5. Change Step 1 to a title of your choice, such as "Notify for Approval/Reject"
       a. Choose Actions "Send an Email"
       b. Click "this message" link
       c. Specify To, CC, Subject and body. (You can add link to the item by selecting URL Path)
       d. Click OK
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Finish
    [Up to this point it sends an email when a new item is created in "Request Form"]

8. File>New>Workflow to create a new workflow
    9. Type in Workflow name "Approve or Reject", Choose SharePoint list "Request Form" on the drop down, and choose the start option, in your case, automatically start this workflow whenever an item is changed then click next
    10. Type in Workflow name "Approval Email", Choose SharePoint list "Request Form" on the drop down, and choose the start option, in your case, automatically start this workflow when a new item is created then click next
    11. Change Step 1 to a title of your choice, such as "Notify for Approval/Reject"
       b. Click "field" link
       d. Click "value" link
       e. Choose "0;#Approved"
       h. Specify To, CC, Subject ("Approved") and body. (You can add link to the item by selecting URL Path)
       i. Click OK
    12. Add 'Else If' Conditional Branch and Type in Workflow name "Rejection Email", Choose SharePoint list "Request Form" on the drop down, and choose the start option, in your case, automatically start this workflow when a new item is created then click next
       b. Click "field" link
       d. Click "value" link
       e. Choose "0;#Rejected"
       h. Specify To, CC, Subject ("Rejected") and body. (You can add link to the item by selecting URL Path)
       i. Click OK
    13. Click Finish

So in this way you can develop the multilevel workflow using SharePoint designer.

Mark if this is helpful or let me know.

Amit
    • Marked as answer by Chengyi Wu Friday, February 19, 2010 4:18 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:02 PM
  • I have a similar workflow need with SPD 2007 but with a bit of a variation and guidance along with steps would be appreciated.  I think I need to create a multi-level workflow.  The scenario is for a Change Request Approval for our Configuration Management repository in SP 2007. 

I would like to have originator submit a Change Request(CR); that change request will go to the Configuration Management Officer(CMO), at that time he/she will either choose approve, reject, or pending further approval.  If the CMO approves/rejects the CR then the workflow routes document back to originator; if CMO chooses "pending further approval" then the workflow is to give the CMO a list of appropriate candidates to select from, then the CMO will select a candidate from the list and the workflow is to then route the CR to the selected candidate; the new candidate then can either select approve/reject or pending further approval; if the CR is approved/rejected then an email is sent to the originator, if "pending further approval" then the candidate list is made available to choose a different approving authority.

I hope this makes sense and any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jerry
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:46 PM
  • Hi Amit,

Thank yoy very much for your kind reply.. sorry i am giving response after long time but i wasnt in touch with this. this is ablosultely what i was looking for.

Thanks again!!

Nitin Asekar

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:46 AM
  • Hi, amit

i am using this process but in case five person reject mail then goes to next for approval u have any idea of situation

thnaks

Raju

Friday, June 11, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Thank you  very very much Amit Pasalkar !!! Your method works and it was veeeeeryyyyyy helpfull for me!!!

Amoun
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Thanks Amit for your solution. However, I do not understand how we can create new workflow in Else If condition ? (check step-12). I am also confuse about step 9 and 10. After Next in step-9, how can we create new Workflow ? Please let me know if i misunderstood this steps.

Thanks, Chintan

Monday, March 12, 2012 2:49 PM