Access Runtime Error - VBA project contained in it cannot be read RRS feed

• Question

• I have created an Access 2010 on a machine running Windows 7 64 bit and only Access 2010 32bit, nothing else from the Microsoft Office Suite.  I then create an .accde file.  Rename this file to .accdr.  I then copy this file to another machine that has the Access Runtime 32 bit installed.  When attempting to open the application I get the following error message:

The database cannot be opened becaus the VBA project contained in it cannot be read....

I have confirmed that it appears I have sp1 installed for office.  At least under help in Access it states SP 1.  I have downloaded and installed the Access Runtime SP1 as well.  I have attempted to install a hotfix but when attempting to install, I get the message that "there are no products affected by this package installed on this system"

I have been searching through various articles discussing this issue but they all appear to talk about the RTM version or the 64 bit version of Access.

Has anyone else ran into similar issues as I am having?  I am thinking about just deploying the accdb file because it works, but hate to for obvious reasons.

ideas?

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:09 PM

Answers

• To answer my own question, it appears that after I decompiled the application and then recompiled all worked well.

In case anyone else is experiencing the same issues.

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:06 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 7:05 PM

All replies

• To answer my own question, it appears that after I decompiled the application and then recompiled all worked well.

In case anyone else is experiencing the same issues.

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:06 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 7:05 PM
  • Nice of you to post the solution. Thanks.

Access 2010 SP1 has a known bug. The code can corrupt if you look at it funny. There is a hotfix available, or you can just uninstall SP1 and wait until MS gets the bug fixed in SP2.

There are a couple other issues with SP1 so I just refuse to install it.

Bill Mosca
    http://www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals
    Monday, December 12, 2011 10:53 PM
  • It good to hear decompiling works for you.

However, the chances of failure when you put it into another environment is very likely to happen.

Example, if a user is using Win7 and Access Runtime 32-bit, it might work.

If a user is using win7 64-bit and Access Runtime 32-bit, it might work but I would say 50/50 chances of failure.

If a user is using Win7 64-bit and Access Runtime 64-bit, it will not work.

Look here from MS link what might not work.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533794

I hope that you're not using APIs in your Access2010 32-bit in Win7 64-bit, because Win7 64-bit requires you to modify your API code to work. If users are using Win7 32-bit with Access2010 32-bit, you don't need to change anything for the APIs.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:12 AM