none
How to get approver comments captured in workflow tasklist - SP2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm using SP 2013 online.

I've created a list, with a task worflow for approval in SharePoint Designer.

However, in the user dialog from the task, the approver comment is not shown. In SP desinger, I see that the Approver Comments field is available.

My question is : how do I get the approver comment in the tasks form for the approver?

Friday, July 11, 2014 2:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that you wanted to get the Approver Comments in the tasks form in SharePoint 2013.

The “Approver Comments” column only will be shown in the list when you set “Require content approval for submitted items” to “Yes” in the list, and we need to click “Approve/Reject” in the ribbon to add the comments.

In SharePoint 2013 workflow, there is no “comments” in the task form, so if you want to let users be able to add comments when approving the task form then we need to use 2010 approval workflow instead. However, the “comments” in the task form is different from the “Approval Comments” column in the list.

If you want to use the comments in the 2010 workflow task form to update the “Approval Comments” column in the list, then we can create 2010 workflow following the steps as below:

1. Create a List Workflow associated with the list and set the workflow to start when an item is created, then add the “Start Approval Process” action at first.

2. Click onApproval(14) to edit the task process and Click on Change the behavior of a single task” in the “Customization”.

3. Add the “Set Workflow Variable” action in When a Task Completessection as below to set a workflow variable “comments” to get the value of comments in the user dialog form the task.

4. Add the “Pause for Duration” action to pause for 1 minute.

5. Add some conditions to check if the status of the current workflow is “Approved” or “Rejected”, and then set Content Approval Status to “Approved” or “Rejected” with “Variable: Comments”.

6. Publish the workflow and test it in your environment.

The workflow is shown as below:

Best Regards,

Victoria

Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Sunday, July 20, 2014 10:04 AM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:10 AM

All replies

• You will have to modify the workflow approve/reject actions by adding another action so that it writes the approver comments to another column which will then be visible.

Thanks, Ransher Singh Click "Vote As Helpful"! if you think that post is helpful in responding your question click "Mark As Answer, if you think that this is your answer for your question.

Friday, July 11, 2014 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that you wanted to get the Approver Comments in the tasks form in SharePoint 2013.

The “Approver Comments” column only will be shown in the list when you set “Require content approval for submitted items” to “Yes” in the list, and we need to click “Approve/Reject” in the ribbon to add the comments.

In SharePoint 2013 workflow, there is no “comments” in the task form, so if you want to let users be able to add comments when approving the task form then we need to use 2010 approval workflow instead. However, the “comments” in the task form is different from the “Approval Comments” column in the list.

If you want to use the comments in the 2010 workflow task form to update the “Approval Comments” column in the list, then we can create 2010 workflow following the steps as below:

1. Create a List Workflow associated with the list and set the workflow to start when an item is created, then add the “Start Approval Process” action at first.

2. Click onApproval(14) to edit the task process and Click on Change the behavior of a single task” in the “Customization”.

3. Add the “Set Workflow Variable” action in When a Task Completessection as below to set a workflow variable “comments” to get the value of comments in the user dialog form the task.

4. Add the “Pause for Duration” action to pause for 1 minute.

5. Add some conditions to check if the status of the current workflow is “Approved” or “Rejected”, and then set Content Approval Status to “Approved” or “Rejected” with “Variable: Comments”.

6. Publish the workflow and test it in your environment.

The workflow is shown as below:

Best Regards,

Victoria

Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Sunday, July 20, 2014 10:04 AM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:10 AM