none
Upgrading from SP 2013 to 2016 and installing SSRS in SharePoint mode RRS feed

• Question

• I am upgrading from SharePoint 2013 to 2016  have a WFE server, App server and DB server.  Central administration is running on the application server and I am installing SSRS in SharePoint mode on the WFE server.

1. I installed the SP software on the WFE, verified it is attached to the farm and is healthy in Central Administration. 

2. I then changed the WFE minrole from Front End to Custom.  

3. I then installed the SSRS software on the WFE. 

When I try to create a reporting service application it does not show up in Central Admin.  Documentation says that I only need to install the SSRS software on the server that will be supporting reporting.  I have tried to rebuild the reporting software and even re-installed the reporting software to see if that would fix it. 

In dev I have installed the SSRS software on both the WFE and App server and it is visible in Central Admin.  Does or should SSRS be installed on the server hosting Central Admin to make it visible as a Service application?  I don't have any issues installing it on the App server but documentation is telling me I don't need to and I'm trying to cleanup my install befor the production upgrade.

Thanks,

Sean

Monday, October 21, 2019 1:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Lisa,

I ended up installing the reporting software on the app server on Wednesday of last week and I was able to then add the reporting service application.  The documentation did not give a clear answer on the servers the software needed to be installed on.

Thanks,

Sean

• Marked as answer by Sean B12 Monday, October 28, 2019 2:55 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2019 2:55 PM

All replies

• On the WFE, in Add/Remove Programs, verify that the Reporting Services Add in is installed.  If it is, double-click on it and choose repair.

Execute IISRESET on the WFE

Then check in Central Administration Service Applications if its now listed

Also check to make sure you also configured Claims:

If still doesn't work, check the WFE's server event logs: what errors can you find related to SSRS add-in install?  Did it fail?  Verify that it successfully installed.

Try installing the add-in from the  SQL Server Installation media instead.

Monday, October 21, 2019 4:44 PM
  • Hi Stephan

I see the RS Add-in program installed on the server. I had uninstalled and reinstalled the Add-in last week and that did not fix it. 

I ran the repair on Reporting services and executed an IISRESET and I did not see a difference.  I'm not seeing any errors in the event logs. 

We are using NTLM in the environment, not Kerberos, not sure if that makes a difference. I have C2WTS running in the development environment on the WFE server only and performed no config and reporting services are running fine. 

I started the Claims service on the new web server and it did not seem to make a difference.  I will try a server recycle to see if that does anything.

Any other thoughts? 

Sean

Monday, October 21, 2019 7:24 PM
  • Hi Sean, 

SharePoint 2016 support, including Power view integration, requires the Reporting Services report server and the Reporting Services add-in version of SQL Server 2016 or later.

On the computer that runs SharePoint 2016 Central Administration. Open the SharePoint 2013/2016 Management Shell with administrator privileges. Right click the icon and click, "Run As Administrator". Run the following three cmdlets from the shell:

Install-SPRSService 

Install-SPRSServiceProxy 

Get-SPServiceInstance -all |where {$_.TypeName -like "SQL Server Reporting*"} | Start-SPServiceInstance 

Verify the Reporting Services Service shows status as “Started” on the page: SharePoint 2016 Central Administration -> "Application Management" -> "Manage Services on Server"

Besides, here is a blog about install SSRS 2016 Reporting Services Service Application for SharePoint 2016 for your reference:

https://moredvikas.wordpress.com/2016/11/28/install-ssrs-2016-reporting-services-service-application-for-sharepoint-2016/

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:22 AM
  • I get this error when trying to run the command.  The reporting software is installed on the WFE only, should I install the software on the App server that is hosting Central Admin?

PS C:\Users\dsp.spAdmin> Install-SPRSService
    Install-SPRSService : The term 'Install-SPRSService' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file,
    or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and
    try again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Install-SPRSService
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Install-SPRSService:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Thanks,

Sean

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 1:30 PM
  • Hi Sean, 

You can try to install the software on the App server that is hosting Central Admin, compare the results. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, October 25, 2019 6:37 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

I ended up installing the reporting software on the app server on Wednesday of last week and I was able to then add the reporting service application.  The documentation did not give a clear answer on the servers the software needed to be installed on.

Thanks,

Sean

• Marked as answer by Sean B12 Monday, October 28, 2019 2:55 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2019 2:55 PM
  • Hi Sean,

I’m pleased to know your issue is solved, thanks for your sharing. 

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information.

Issue:

====================

Should SSRS be installed on the server hosting Central Admin

solution:

====================

Referred to your reply:

Install the reporting software on the app server, then able to add the reporting service application.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Thursday, October 31, 2019 10:40 AM