none
Outlook 2013 to Outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

I have written and completed an add in for Outlook 2013. What would be the best way to prepare this for Outlook 2010 as well?

Cheers,

D

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Darryl,

You should make sure that your add in uses object model properties, events and methods that are common to both versions.  And then there's always the testing that you'll want to do on 2010.  Have a look at What's new for Outlook 2013 developers  for changes in the object model between 2010 and 2013.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:34 PM
  • You should have started with Outlook 2010. Then no changes would be required.

At the very least, replace the Outlook 2013 interop with the Outlook 2010 interop in your project references. Note that you can add a reference to an interop dll generated on another machine where Outlook 2010 is installed.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:57 PM
  • Hello Darryl,

I'd recommend replacing the interop files with oldest ones to make sure that you use properties, methods and events available in both Outlook versions. See Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office for more information. 

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 10:01 PM
  • Cheers guys, I actually didn't need to make any changes in the end. Worked fine in Outlook 2010.

Thanks for that link Eugene.
    Friday, July 3, 2015 9:15 AM
  • It works until you use members from the Outlook object model available in both versions. If you try to call a method or property which is not available in older Outlook versions you will get an exception.
    Friday, July 3, 2015 11:04 AM