none
SharePoint Access Services Autocomplete error if data contains apostrophe RRS feed

• Question

• We have an on premises SharePoint 2013 server that's patched to the January 2016 update. Our in house Access Services 2013 app uses an Autocomplete Control that's attached to a field of the Short Text datatype. If data in that field contains an apostrophe, then Autocomplete errors when typing data into the autocomplete control. For example if the data in the field contains the work "Farmer's", then we get an error when a user types an "F" into the autocomplete field when adding a new record. To get around this, we've had to strip out all of the apostrophes in the data used by the autocomplete control. I can dig up and provide the SharePoint access services error correlation ID and info if necessary. Is this a bug, or are we doing something wrong? I've seen that a similar bug was fixed for SharePoint online / Office 365, but this is an on-premises installation...

Thank you,

Stephen

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Stephen,

I made a test with your description, and I could reproduce your issue no matter whether there is apostrophe in the data.

For a workaround, I suggest you create LookUp field based on the data source, and then drag the field to the Form list which will create an autocomplete control with the data source. It would work correctly.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 5:11 AM
  • Hi Stephen,

>> couldn't get either to work

What do you mean with this? Did you get the same error or the Autocomplete control did not work? What is your data source of your Event Name? You could change your Event Name to a LookUp field, and select the table and field which you set RowSource and Primary Display Field for original Event Name. Then you could turn to List View, and drag and drop the Event Name field to list.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 1:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Stephen,

I made a test with your description, and I could reproduce your issue no matter whether there is apostrophe in the data.

For a workaround, I suggest you create LookUp field based on the data source, and then drag the field to the Form list which will create an autocomplete control with the data source. It would work correctly.

Best Regards,

Edward

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 5:11 AM
  • Hello Edward,

I'm not sure I follow you when you say "create LookUp field based on the data source". Are you thinking I should create another table and create the LookUp field there? Or should I create a LookUp field in the existing table, and have that LookUp field reference the 'Name' field in the same table?

I tried both, and couldn't get either to work...

Thanks,

Stephen

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 6:02 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

>> couldn't get either to work

What do you mean with this? Did you get the same error or the Autocomplete control did not work? What is your data source of your Event Name? You could change your Event Name to a LookUp field, and select the table and field which you set RowSource and Primary Display Field for original Event Name. Then you could turn to List View, and drag and drop the Event Name field to list.

Best Regards,

Edward

Thursday, February 18, 2016 1:43 AM