none
Promoted results not displaying document at top in sharepoint online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Am created a query rule to display a document at top result with some keywords. When am searching using the key word the document is displaying at second item in search results page.

in below image when i search keyword bomb , the word document should come first result. and also its not showing right symbol in search results page.

Friday, August 2, 2019 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Am created a query rule to display a document at top result with some keywords. When am searching using the key word the document is displaying at second item in search results page.

in below image when i search keyword bomb , the word document should come first result. and also its not showing right symbol in search results page.

Friday, August 2, 2019 9:14 AM
  • Hi Sandy,

Per my understanding, you have created a query rule to promote documents on top, but search results don’t order as expected. 

Are you using content type as a condition for dynamic ordering rule? Please provide detailed information on how you build this query rule in SharePoint Online so we can troubleshoot for you. Also, what do you mean "It's not showing right symbol in search results page"?

As PDF files are also identified as “Document” in SharePoint, you can use "File extension matches" as the ranking condition instead of Content Type. Run a test under Query template variables on the TEST tab before you apply this rule.

Here’s your reference.

Promote a search result.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/manage-query-rules#promote-a-search-result

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, August 5, 2019 8:39 AM
  • Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for giving reply. yes i want to promote documents on top.

resultsource am tested with local sharepoint results and site level result source and documents result source also. but results not giving document in my order .

for this document  query rule the tick mark or right symbol also not showing.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 8:43 AM
  • Hi Sandy,

I suggest you use “File extension” instead of “Content type” for the dynamic ordering, as is described in my former reply. You can also create custom content type for different types of files to make them identifiable.

As for the file icon, this is the default behavior in SharePoint search. You can create a custom display template to display the file icons.

Please refer to the links below for detailed information.

The document preview and content type icon aren't displayed when you change the search result types display template.

How-to display file format icons for Document Links.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 6:42 AM
  • Hi Sandy,

I'm checking how it is going on with this issue.

Please remember to update this thread if you have any progress.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Monday, August 12, 2019 1:22 AM