none
EWS: What things could cause the error 'The specified folder could not be found in the store.' RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We developed an application that uses Exchange Web Services with Exchange 2007 SP1.
    For one of our customers, our application is failing on a GetFolder call with an ID folder shape for a contacts folder.  Further below is what our GetFolder call looks like (with the email ID asterisked out).

The error message coming back from the Exchange server is 'The specified folder could not be found in the store.'
    The customer has around 30 or so mailboxes, and this error is only occurring on two of the mailboxes.  The customer has a single Exchange server, and all the mailboxes are located in a single database.

For the two mailboxes with this problem, the customer says (1) the account used to log into EWS has full access permissions to the mailbox account, and (2) the email address specified is correct for the mailbox account, (3) the contacts folder does show up okay in Outlook for the mailbox account.

Does anyone have any advice on how to troubleshoot this problem?  What issues could cause this error to occur?

Thanks,
    Greg

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>

<GetFolderType xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

<FolderShape xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/messages">

<BaseShape xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/types">IdOnly</BaseShape>

</FolderShape>

<FolderIds xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/messages">

<DistinguishedFolderId Id="contacts" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/types">

<Mailbox>

<EmailAddress>******@***.***</EmailAddress>

</Mailbox>

</DistinguishedFolderId>

</FolderIds>

</GetFolderType>

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 11:58 PM

Answers

• I opened a support incident with Microsoft and we were able to solve the problem.

If you go into Active Directory Users and Computers, view the properties on one of the problematic accounts, click on the Security tab, click the Advanced button, the "Allow inheritable permissions..." checkbox needs to be checked.  In our case, it was not checked, so we need to check it.  After doing that, we then needed to remove and add back the full access delegate permissions using the Exchange Management Console.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
    --Greg

• Marked as answer by gkriggs Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:47 PM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:47 PM

All replies

• For the users we were having problems with, we went into Outlook, right click on the contacts folder and select properties, on the permissions tab, we gave the account being used to login to Exchange Web Services "owner" permissions on the folder.  After doing that, our application was able to access the contacts folder okay.  We had to do this for the Inbox, Tasks, and Calendar folders also.

It seems odd to me that granting full access permissions in the Exchange console was not enough.  We had to also grant the permissions in Outlook.  In a lot of testing I've done, I've never seen the need to do this before.  Does anyone have any ideas what could be different such that for these few accounts we also had to add the permissions through Outlook?

Thanks,
    Greg

Monday, September 28, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Hi Greg,
    I have the same problem with a few accounts throwing the "Specified Folder Could not be Found in the Store" error (although it is with the calendar folder)
    I, too, have posted a similar question on the newsgroups, and not received a clear answer either.
    (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdevelopment/thread/8a756167-8792-4805-916a-fc63af398e58)

I agree with you that it seems that FullAccess is not enough for those accounts.  Did you ever figure out what was different with those accounts?

One of my clients has the same issue.  The accounts are room accounts, so the accounts are disabled.
    It's possible to set the permissions in outlook (via a service accout that has fullaccess!).  I am curious why an EWS request fails but you can still get at the account through outlook and see items in the (calendar) folder.

Thanks,
    Russ
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:47 PM
  • No, we never did figure out what was different with those accounts.

Now we have another customer with a similar problem.  We granted our application's account full access permissions on all the mailboxes in the store.  We then went into Outlook and granted our application's account "owner" permissions on the inbox, calendar, contacts, and tasks folders.  Our application still is unable to access some of the mailboxes.  When we try to access a mailbox folder using Exchange Web Services, we get back an error that says roughly: there is no mailbox associated with the given SMTP address.  We verified the SMTP address used is correct for the mailbox.  This mailbox only has one SMTP address, and we can access it okay using Outlook or Outlook Web Access.  The client has a single Exchange server machine running all the roles (CAS, HUB, Store).  This is very frustrating, our client is unable to use our application.

--Greg

• Edited by gkriggs Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:25 PM add more detail
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:23 PM
  • We still haven't figured out the problem with the second customer where we (1) granted full access permissions using the Exchange Magement Console, and (2) granted owner level permissions to the various folders (tasks/contacts/calendar/inbox) using Outlook.  In my last reply, I was mistaken about the error message; for this second customer we also get the error message "The specified folder could not be found in the store." from Exchange Web Services when our application tries to make a GetFolder call.

-- Greg
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:11 PM
  • Greg-
    We discovered that for some reason for some users permissions on some folders were NOT inherited.
    We finally gave up and granted FullAccess AND forced InheritanceType to be ALL.  Here is the syntax: 

add-mailboxpermission -Identity:yourUser -User:yourServiceAccount -AccessRights:FullAccess -InheritanceType:All

--Russ

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:50 PM
  • Oh, we did try that also, specifying the "-InheritanceType:All", but unfortunetly that didn't work for us.
    Thank you for the suggestion!

--Greg
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:56 PM
  • I opened a support incident with Microsoft and we were able to solve the problem.

If you go into Active Directory Users and Computers, view the properties on one of the problematic accounts, click on the Security tab, click the Advanced button, the "Allow inheritable permissions..." checkbox needs to be checked.  In our case, it was not checked, so we need to check it.  After doing that, we then needed to remove and add back the full access delegate permissions using the Exchange Management Console.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
    --Greg

• Marked as answer by gkriggs Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:47 PM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:47 PM