none
Can't save SQL Server Management Studio sql file back into Sharepoint Document Library RRS feed

• Question

• I created an sql query file in SQL Server Management Studio and saved it onto my hard drive. 
    I then moved that file into a Sharepoint Document Library so others on my team could use that query.
    I opened the file from within sharepoint, it launched SSMS.
    I made a change to the file and pressed save.
    here is the error message that comes up.
    "The operation could not be completed.  The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

Am I doing something wrong?
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:43 PM

Answers

• The reason is SSMS doesn't support webdav; you must save the file locally and upload the new version to Sharepoint manually

Serge Luca; blog: http://www.redwood.be
    • Marked as answer by sudermatt Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:48 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:27 AM

All replies

• The reason is SSMS doesn't support webdav; you must save the file locally and upload the new version to Sharepoint manually

Serge Luca; blog: http://www.redwood.be
    • Marked as answer by sudermatt Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:48 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:27 AM
  • One would think that the management tools for the database that supports SharePoint would be able to utilize SharePoint.  MS needs to get their act together.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:08 PM
  • It this still the case and why is it treating SharePoint as something different than any other application?
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:36 PM
  • I couldn't find a direct way to do it either.  I did find a workaround using OneDrive for Business. 

I logged into the SharePoint directory and clicked Sync, and chose to sync the files to my OneDrive.  I can open those files from Management Studio, since my OneDrive files are synced locally.  So any updates in Studio save locally, sync to OneDrive and sync to SharePoint.  There's minimal delay in the updates to SharePoint.

It works in the absence of a direct connection to SharePoint from Management Studio.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:27 PM