Error: /_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?cs=65001when creating or editing view RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to add a new view or modify a current view I get this error.  Cannot complete this action.  No info in logs any where.  I did a trace using fiddler and it comes back as 404 File not Found.  Any ideas?
    Monday, December 12, 2011 9:17 PM

Answers

• Here is the solution for those coming here.  There is an error if you use Httpmodule and it redirects to use owssvr.dll.  If you try to access or read the SPContext when it redirects to that page you will get an error. No error will be thrown from code, but you will get that dreaded cannot complete this action.  To fix simply do a return if (app.Context.Request.Url.AbsolutePath.ToLower().Contains("owssvr.dll"))

For others it might be that you have trace turned on in the web.config.  That is something else to check also if you get that error.

• Marked as answer by spunkyvt Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:33 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hey,

Check this thread

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5347020/sharepoint-2010-error-when-creating-list-view

Hope this helps :)

"The Only Way To Get Smarter Is By Playing A Smarter Opponent"
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Yeah, I had checked that one out earlier.  It doesn't really apply to my situation.
    • Marked as answer by spunkyvt Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by spunkyvt Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:28 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:33 PM
  • Here is the solution for those coming here.  There is an error if you use Httpmodule and it redirects to use owssvr.dll.  If you try to access or read the SPContext when it redirects to that page you will get an error. No error will be thrown from code, but you will get that dreaded cannot complete this action.  To fix simply do a return if (app.Context.Request.Url.AbsolutePath.ToLower().Contains("owssvr.dll"))

For others it might be that you have trace turned on in the web.config.  That is something else to check also if you get that error.

• Marked as answer by spunkyvt Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:33 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:32 PM
  • THANK YOU!

M

Saturday, September 1, 2012 5:46 PM
  • Hi, i am getting the similar error. could not able to get ur solution . Do i need to change the url ?

My url is : http://SharePoint/sites/demosite/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?CS=65001

Subhash

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 2:33 AM
  • Does your program have a HttpModule?
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 5:18 PM
  • Thank you! I had that issue!
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:51 AM
  • How to do this return? I had this issue on an OOB list/library view.

"To fix simply do a return if (app.Context.Request.Url.AbsolutePath.ToLower().Contains("owssvr.dll"))"

Trace turned on, is this HTTPModule?

Thanks!

-Fran

Friday, October 10, 2014 5:41 AM
  • Example of httpmodule that uses the PreRequestHandlerExecute and how to return if it encounters the owssvr.dll

class MyHttpModule : IHttpModule, IRequiresSessionState
        {

public void Init(HttpApplication context)
            {
                context.PreRequestHandlerExecute += new EventHandler(context_PreRequestHandlerExecute);

}

void context_PreRequestHandlerExecute(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {

if (app.Context.Request.Url.AbsolutePath.ToLower().Contains("owssvr.dll"))
                        return;

}

}

Friday, October 10, 2014 12:52 PM
  • Also check your IIS Request Filtering, make sure that ".dll" is Allowed. I had this same issue and found that".dll" was not allowed. I reset ".dll" to Allowed, did an IISReset and we can modify list views again.

Friday, April 22, 2016 4:53 PM
  • hi 

can you please tell me where to allow .dll 

Sunday, October 15, 2017 5:12 AM