none
Upgrade SharePoint 2013 to SharePoint 2016 upgrade to either single server farm or distributed farm RRS feed

• Question

• We are upgrading SP 2013 to SP 2016. The SP 2013 environment is a 2-node farm, app and db server. The projected SP 2016 farm has a Web server, App Server and DB server.

I have been able to upgrade to SP 2016 - Single Server Farm (app and db server) using the Custom role.  The upgrade would not work until I put the App server into Custom role. 

Is it possible or recommended to upgrade by adding a Web server as the Front end server possibly with Dist Cache, the App server as the Application and CM) server with Search.  I don't see an upgrade document or path with this plan.  I will have little downtime allocated from the time I put the SP 2013 environment in read-only mode.

Is it possible to modify the single server farm into a distributed configuration later?  I don't want to increase the complexity of the upgrade to accommodate if it can be done later with lesser impact.

Thanks,

Sean

Thursday, September 5, 2019 3:45 PM

All replies

• Yes it is possible to upgrade Front-End with Distributed Cache.

And also yes you can change from single server role to distributed cache later as well.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Thursday, September 5, 2019 5:14 PM
  • Thanks Shrarath.

I will run through the steps again. I will install the application and central mgmt on the app server.  Based on my previous experience the upgrade requires me to use the custom role.  I will then install the front end server on the web server. 

Am I able to jump between roles in order to complete the upgrade?  Is there anything special I need to do to complete this work? 

Thursday, September 5, 2019 8:32 PM
  • If you have two SharePoint servers and you want an FE/BE approach, add the first server as App + Search and the second as Dist cache + FE.

You shouldn't need to change roles, at that point.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Friday, September 6, 2019 5:45 AM
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 10:25 PM
  • Hi Sean,

If you have upgraded to SP2016 with single server role farm and you want to add a server to the farm, you could just change the sever role.

Servers can be converted to a different server role without having to disconnect them from your farm and then rejoining them using the different server role.

This can be performed through the the SharePoint Central Administration website or Microsoft PowerShell.

You could read this official article for more:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/role-conversion-using-minrole-in-sharepoint-server-2016

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, September 6, 2019 6:27 AM
  • Thanks all.

I have a new request to install SSRS into the environment.  I will be installing a web server (FE and DC) and App Server (App and Search). 

Should I be installing the SSRS service on the Web or App server?  Will the server it falls on have to be a custom server instead?  Is there a specific port range needed to run SSRS in SharePoint?

Thanks,

Sean

Monday, September 9, 2019 4:29 PM
  • You will need to convert to the Custom role. I generally recommend installation onto an FE for performance reasons, but your FE might need to be up-sized to accommodate the additional load.

No ports need to be opened.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, September 9, 2019 5:26 PM
  • Thanks Trevor.  

I'm going to be running a new upgrade from 2013 to 2016.  Not having run the upgrade with 3 nodes I am questioning my steps.

1. Install SQL Server

2. Install Application and Search on App server.

3. Install FE and DC roles on Web Server

3a. Create Web App and test connectivity

4. Restore Service Apps

5. Restore Content DB

6. Restore Reporting services on FE server?

7. Restore WF services.

Does this look like a general workflow that I can follow? 

Sean

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:22 PM
  • In general, that's correct. Don't forget that you need to export your SSRS encryption key from 2013 prior to backing up and restoring your SSRS dbs to your 2016 SQL Server. You will then need to import the encryption key after creating the SSRS SA.

Trevor Seward

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:14 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 9:17 PM
  • Hi sean,

Is there anything to update? 

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if it helps. 

Have a nice day!

Best Regards, 

Michael Han 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, September 13, 2019 8:17 AM
  • I have completed the upgrade and I have most of the original functionality working.  I have a few questions.

1) The Custom reports are visible but it only allows me to download the rdl file and does not open in the application.  I copied the encryption key from the 2013 production environment and restored it in the 2016 production environment.  I followed MS documentation for setting up 2016 SSRS in SP mode but it is not working.

2) I am able to access all site pages but when a site page has a reference to another page I get an error that I can't track down in any logs.

Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.

Correlation ID: 5c18069f-b913-104f-9076-1a30751ab323

3) When I created the web application I used the new URL and created an AAM to the old environment, instead of using the old URL and creating an AAM.  Will that cause an issue create the web app that way? 

4) The 2016 dev environment is a re-creation of the current production environment.  Should I drop the old Web application or create a new Web App pointing to the upgraded database and try again?   Is there danger of creating the dev environment with the web app pointing to the production URL?  It doesn't recommend modifying the hosts file in the MS documentation. 

Thanks,

Sean

Friday, September 20, 2019 3:56 PM