none
Display Column Version History in SharePoint Designer Workflow Email RRS feed

• Question

• I have a list with versioning enabled.  One of the list fields is a multiline column called "Status".  I use this to keep track of comments made by users.  I created a SPD workflow that sends an email whenever the "Status" field is updated.  I would like to display the entire history of the "Status" field in the email, but only the latest update is displayed.  How can I get the entire version history of the "Status" column to display in my workflow email body?
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:44 PM

Answers

• You can't - you only show the data of the current version.  If you want to show all status data, then you should not use the append feature and should instead just keep adding data to that column within the current version.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by SD Eric Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:43 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:37 AM

All replies

• You can't - you only show the data of the current version.  If you want to show all status data, then you should not use the append feature and should instead just keep adding data to that column within the current version.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by SD Eric Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:43 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:37 AM
  • Hi Clayton, this is an intuitive answer, but where is this 'append' feature?  I am looking all over SPD 2010 and do not see any action that allows an append.  
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:38 PM
  • well to answer my own question, the way i'm doing this, doesn't even require versioning, but it does require using a simple workflow to post a comment on the list item.  I have a simple workflow called "Post a Comment" that people get emailed with a link to, when they want to post a comment to that list item, they click on the WF link, it prompts them for the initiation variables "Comment", then the workflow creates a local variable with the current Comment content as a string.  Then update the list and concatentate the variable and the new comment... this works. 

still though, where is this Append feature?  

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:50 PM
  • The Append feature can be found on multi-line fields in a list that has versioning turned on.  Turn on versioning for your list, look at the properties of a multi-line field, and you will see the radio button at the bottom.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Hey Eric, thanks I actually already knew that, if you try this out, you'll notice that it overwrites what is there.  SPD does not have an append feature.  Try it out from a workflow and see what your results are.  

I actually got it to work by customizing it using infopath 2010 which allows you to drag the field from the data fields on the right, and adds the object as a repeating section.  This is nice because it shows the progress of the comments. 
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:39 PM
  • You can now in SharePoint Designer 2013
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:14 PM