none
Access Service available for SharePoint Foundation 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I was very excited about the new feature of Access 2010 to deploy an entire Access Application to SharePoint. We are a smaller company and have only SharePoint Foundation 2010 running, not SharePoint Server. Now I had to find out, that in SharePoint foundation the Access Service is not available. I know that single tables/lists still can be deployed from Access to SharePoint, but I was hoping that the Access Service somehow can be plugged in or setup also for SharePoint Foundation 2010. 

So my question is if there is any way, to have the full Access Service Features available also in SharePoint Foundation 2010? 

Thanks a lot and regards,

David

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:00 PM

Answers

• Sorry David, no there is not. If you were able to make it work you'd be very much in violation of the license agreement.

--Doug

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:03 PM
  • There is a decent site from MS comparing the various license types in SharePoint 2010 here.

Unfortunately, access services are available in the Enterprise edition only.

It is worth noting that SharePoint Foundation 2010 is an improvement on WSS 3.0 (its equivalent version for 2007) in many ways, including access to the new service application architecture. MS have to draw the line somewhere around free features in order to make the product commercially viable - and unfortunately access services was considered beyond the scope of the free version.

Benjamin Athawes
    Twitter
    SharePoint Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:45 PM

All replies

• Sorry David, no there is not. If you were able to make it work you'd be very much in violation of the license agreement.

--Doug

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:03 PM
  • There is a decent site from MS comparing the various license types in SharePoint 2010 here.

Unfortunately, access services are available in the Enterprise edition only.

It is worth noting that SharePoint Foundation 2010 is an improvement on WSS 3.0 (its equivalent version for 2007) in many ways, including access to the new service application architecture. MS have to draw the line somewhere around free features in order to make the product commercially viable - and unfortunately access services was considered beyond the scope of the free version.

Benjamin Athawes
    Twitter
    SharePoint Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:45 PM