none
Follow documents/site to track them from e-mail RRS feed

• Question

• If you share a document from a SharePoint 2013 site where you have full control, the recipient will receive a notification email by default, with a link in it so that he can follow the document.

If you share a document that is on a Site for which you have editing rights, the site administrator must give permission to share the file. In this case the recipient receives an email with a link to the document, but the link to follow the document is missing.

Does anyone have an explanation for this behavior? And how can this possibly be solved?

Monday, August 5, 2019 8:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Wiegerb,

Did the issue occur on one user with edit permission or all users with edit permission?

Per my test in my SharePoint 2013 environment, when the user who has full control permission shares the document, the recipient can receive the email within the follow document link.

When the user who has edit permission shares the document, the recipient also can receive the email within the follow document link.

To troubleshoot the issue, you could check the permissions when sharing the document by different people.

And then switch to another account with edit permission in the site to check if the same issue will occur.

And the edit permission level in my SharePoint 2013 environment as below, you could compare the edit permission in your SharePoint environment with mine.

List permission: Manage Lists, Add Items, Edit Items, Delete Items, View Items, Open Items, View Versions, Delete Versions, Create Alerts, View Application Pages.

Site permission: Browse Directories, Use Self-Service Site Creation, View Pages, Browse User Information, Use Remote Interfaces, Use Client Integration Features, Open, Edit Personal User Information.

Personal Permissions: Manage Personal Views, Add/Remove Personal Web Parts, Update Personal Web Parts.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 3:34 AM
  • Hi Wiegerb,

How is everything going?

Is there anything update about this issue?

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 6:41 AM
  • Hello Sara Fan,

Thanks for your reply! Currently I'm testing your findings with end users. If I know more, I'll let you know here.

Best regards,

Wiegerb

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 11:28 AM
  • Hi Wiegerb,

Is there anything update about this issue?

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, August 9, 2019 7:05 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thanks for your reply. In my first post I wrote 'editing-rights' where I meant 'read-only-rights'. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

My findings so far: If a recipient (with read-only or edit rights) is already a member of a site, then the recipient will receive a follow button in mail, without verification from the site owner.

If a recepient is not a member of a site, then the recipent will not receive a follow button in mail, with verification from the site owner. 

Is this normal behavior?

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:08 PM
  • Hi Wiegerb,

Yes, it is the normal behavior.

One more thing, to enable the following content in the site, you should activate the two site features “Following content” and “Site Feed”.

Go to site settings->site actions->Manage site features->Activate “Following content” and “Site Feed”.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:47 AM
  • Hi Wiegerb,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, August 23, 2019 8:54 AM