none
Display a List from Another Site Collection RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a display from one site collection on another site collection. I have had success with displaying lists between Sub-Sites using SPD 2007. My issue is that when I Connect to the library on the other site collection I get the following:

Database Connections
    XML Files
    Server-Side Scripts
    XML Web Services
    Linked Sources

It doesn't display Sharepoint Libraries.

I am by no means a SharePoint expert and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Amanda
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:17 PM

Answers

• You've found the headache that a lot of administrators deal with when trying to share data between site collections. The short answer is you can not do this out of the box.  You are able to do it in sub sites because all the data in theory lives under that one site collection. If you want to pull data from a list on another site collection you will need to consider a custom solution.

You could consider some sort of roll up or exporting feature from one list in site collection A to the list in site collection B, or a workflow to push that data across, but performance will be an issue and something to consider.

Eric Harlan | www.ericharlan.com |twitter.com/ericharlan
    • Proposed as answer by EricHarlan Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by afex Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Paul Galvin Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:10 AM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:31 PM

All replies

• You've found the headache that a lot of administrators deal with when trying to share data between site collections. The short answer is you can not do this out of the box.  You are able to do it in sub sites because all the data in theory lives under that one site collection. If you want to pull data from a list on another site collection you will need to consider a custom solution.

You could consider some sort of roll up or exporting feature from one list in site collection A to the list in site collection B, or a workflow to push that data across, but performance will be an issue and something to consider.

Eric Harlan | www.ericharlan.com |twitter.com/ericharlan
    • Proposed as answer by EricHarlan Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by afex Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Paul Galvin Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:10 AM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:31 PM
  • You might want to try SPAnyListView - it's an open source & free list display that display any list selected by URL (inside the SharePoint server).
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:06 PM
  • I know Bamboo has a set of parts that allow for the rollup of list information across Site Collections.  Check then out at www.bamboosolutions.com

- M
    - Michael Mukalian - MCTS: MOSS 2007 Configuration - http://www.mukalian.com/blog
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:37 PM
  • why not use an RSS feed from the list and an rss feed viewer webpart to display the list items on the other site collection?

Darren JR

• Edited by Darren JR Friday, June 22, 2012 9:57 AM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 9:57 AM
  • why not use an RSS feed from the list and an rss feed viewer webpart to display the list items on the other site collection?

Darren JR

The RSS webpart does not support authenticated feeds, which makes it pretty useless IMHO. 
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:47 PM