none
SharePoint 2013 workflow doesn't start automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am working on a SharePoint 2013 workflow based on a list where a task will be assigned to a user with some due date and workflow starts when an item is to added to the list. If the task is not complete before the due date reminder email should be sent to the assigner CCed to his manager(this is where the problem started)

I used "Assign a task" action and didn't use the send reminder email section as I have to CC the manager(no OOB CC in SP 2013 :(). Instead I wrote another 2013 workflow for task list to start a workflow and loop everyday to check if the task is complete or not. If not send email.

All looked good logic wise until here. But the problem is that the workflow on the task list doesn't get triggered when the task is created even when "Start the workflow when item is created" is checked. However I can manually start the worklfow?

Any idea why? or any other solutions to handle the CC part?

Thanks in advance

• Edited by ViviSP Friday, February 19, 2016 6:07 PM
    Friday, February 19, 2016 6:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

workflows triggered by System admin users will not start automatically.

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Friday, February 19, 2016 8:46 PM
  • Thanks Romeo for the reply.

Is there any solution/work around for this?

Also does anyone has a solution to my original problem where a manager has to be CCed in the remainder emails? I really can't believe Microsoft took out the option of "CC" in the emails for SP 2013 workflows.

• Edited by ViviSP Monday, February 22, 2016 2:55 PM
    Monday, February 22, 2016 2:55 PM
  • Hi ViviSP,
    CC is still in the email. Is it unavailable in your email action?

The workflow can’t be triggered by system account. It’s a known issue but it seems to be fixed in SharePoint 2013.

Please try to run the commond:
    stsadm.exe –o setproperty –propertyname declarativeworkflowautostartonemailenabled –propertyvalue yes

You can also use event receiver to trigger the workflow.

Best Regards,

CY

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply and time. 

I mean to say CC when task expires. I am working on a simple business process solution where a task has to be assigned to a group with a due date and if the task is not complete within due date a reminder email has to be sent out to the assignee with CC to the manager.

"Assign a Task" has the reminder email function but you cannot add anyone to the email. :(

• Edited by ViviSP Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Hi ViviSP,

you can't start 2013 workflow on the task creation, but you can start 2010 workflow.
    create new workflow and select 2010 workflow from the dropdown.

this works on prem and sp online.

hope this helps.

Evgenia

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:24 PM