Cannot delete list/library column when threshold limit exceeded in SharePoint Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have  a document library where we have more than 6000 records. Unfortunately we have to delete 2 columns from the library but cannot do so because we get the following error : "The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator". On further investigation, we found out that this might be because there are more than 5000+ records in the libarary. Since this is SP Online we cannot increase the list threshold. We tried to delete both the columns programmatically also, but that also gave us the same error mentioned above.

Does anyone has any suggestion/idea of how can we delete these two columns?

Note: We need to delete both the columns not hide them

Thanks and Regards,

Subhash S.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 12:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Per my knowledge, by default, SharePoint Online list view threshold limit is 5000 and you can't increase it as it is SharePoint Online.

As a workaround, I suggest you can split the items into multiple library views or lists to make sure the items count in list view is less than 5000. Then I suggest you can try if the 2 column can be deleted when the item count in list view is less than 5000.

Here is a detailed article for you reference:

"The number of items in this list exceeds the list view threshold, which is 5000 items" error when you view a SharePoint Online list in Office 365 Enterprise

Thanks

Best Regards

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 27, 2015 6:07 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

As per your suggestion I tried creating list view which would show less than 5000 records in a view and then try deleting the fields.

But even after creating the view, i am unable to delete the fields.

Any other way ?

Thanks and Regards,

Subhash S.

Monday, August 31, 2015 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

Would you please tell me the type of the two columns ?

Thanks

Best Regards

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 1:20 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

The fields are of type "Hyperlink".

Thanks,

Subhash S.

• Edited by subhash_ss Tuesday, September 1, 2015 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2015 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue. I am unable to delete a Hyperlink column in a list that contains more than 5000 items in SharePoint Online.

Was there ever a resolution to this issue?

Thanks

David

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 1:58 AM
  • Hi 

Do we get a solution for this

Monday, July 13, 2020 9:50 AM