none
Problem with Content Type RRS feed

• Question

• I have a list with multiple content types. I need to create items in this list by a Sharepoint Workflow created in Sharepoint Designer. These items should be of different content types due to some conditions. There is no problem to create such Workflow, and I can select a value for content type in the item creation action. Unfortunately, new items will always be created with default content type. I've tried to create a test list - it works there. But I cannot recreate this list - this is already in usage.

I also cannot change the content type for existing items in this list from the edit form. This will not be saved - no error, just no saving.

Can anybody help me to solve it?

Thanks

Friday, August 23, 2019 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Stern79, 

From your description, you are unable to change content type for existing items in just one list.

Can you create new items based on different content type manually in that list?

Have you used customized form?

Try to do a test in another browser and compare the results. 

Add "?contents=1" at the end of the Allitems.aspx page,  Navigate to web part maintenance page to see whether there is custom web part in the page.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, August 26, 2019 7:44 AM
  • Hello Lisa,

Yes, I can create new items in any content type manually.

Yes, I use customized forms.

What do you mean with testing in another browser? The problem is in creating the item from the workflow, and this workflow starts automatically.

There is no other web parts on AllItems.aspx except XsltListViewWebPart.

Best regards,

Stern

Monday, August 26, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Any ideas?
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:07 AM
  • Hi Stern79, 

You said that "Unfortunately, new items will always be created with default content type. "

"I also cannot change the content type for existing items in this list from the edit form."

So i suggest you testing in another browser.

I am afraid the issue is resulted by the customized forms. Can you use the default form to do a test?

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 10:59 AM
  • Ok, I understand. No, in another browser the same problem. But this manual editing is not so important, it is just an addition to the problem.

The real problem is creating of items by the workflow. We do need it. How can it be caused by custom forms, it is just creation in a list, without using a form. And I cannot use default forms as they have disappeared due to a bug when restoring a tenant. I have only these forms.

Best regards

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 4:59 PM
  • Hi Stern79, 

Here is a similar issue post for your reference:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/fbbebaa7-ee37-45c0-8722-d046b8ec00e3/workflow-add-an-item-to-the-list-with-a-specific-content-type-?forum=sharepointcustomizationlegacy

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 9:31 AM