none
Has anyone seen this strange problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

Excel's VBE has started behaving strangely.  When I want to enter something like

On Error Resume Next

as soon as I type On Excel highlights the test in red

then when I press Spacebar and start Error Excel moves the new text to the left as so:

Onerror

If I type

Onerrorresumenext and then add spaces I will get the desired results.

What's going on??

I am using Windows 7 and Excel 2010.

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Problem found and solved but new one appeared!  Because others may experience this, here was the issue:

I installed the Data Explorer preview for Excel 2013 and it was attached to Excel 2013 AND Excel 2010 AND Excel 2007!

I went to Add-ins and uncheck the COM file in Excel 2010 and everything is now working correctly.

However, in 2007 this solution didn't work since it said the Administrator need to do this (I am the administrator).  I suppose I can uninstall the Data Explore completel, but then I can't work with it. Any suggestions on this one?

TIA,

Shane

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:43 PM
  • Shane,

You need to right click on the excel shortcut and select run as administrator.

Regards

Harry

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:13 PM
  • No such option available when right clicking the Windows Taskbar shortcut, the Windows menu shortcut or the desktop shortcut.

Thanks,

Shane

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:04 AM
  • Hi ,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:23 AM
  • Hi Shane, Please follow below step to run as admin:

1: Right click the Excel shortcut;

2. Right click the "Excel 2013" menu item. See below picture.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:28 AM
  • Hi Forrest,

I'm trying to do this with Excel 2007 under Windows 7.  Here's what I see:

Open

Unpin from Taskbar

Properties

There is no Run as adminsitrator option.

(By the way I could not imbed a Snipping Tool capture in this post, how is that done?

Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:49 PM
  • I showed you Excel 2013 on Windows 8, so let's go another way to run Excel as administrator:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\excel.exe

Do you see "Run as administrator" option in context menu of this?

I've seen a few people report that they cannot post picture. Please report the issue with you account at: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/812eb24a-ecbd-46e8-936b-8ae40da72ec3

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Saturday, May 18, 2013 1:50 AM
  • Even though I have solve my problem.  This issue needs looking into by Microsoft.

Thanks,

Shane

Sunday, May 19, 2013 4:22 PM