none
Cannot Access new External Content Types in External Content Type Picker RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully created 18 BDC-style SQL connections using External Content Types in SPD 2010.  All of these first 18 can easily be attached to a Business Data List web part.  However, the last three I have created do not show up at all in the External Content Type Picker (either in SPD or the browser).  They were created the same way as the others against the same data connection (utilizing different views from that database) and show up in both SPD and in Central Admin under the External Content Types.  I have set the permissions the same and checked that there is a limit to the number of data items queried, but I am still not able to access the items in a business data list.  There is a workaround to create a SharePoint list based on the content type, but this is not the preferred method due to the nature of the data.  Has anyone else had this issue?
    Noelle Marchbanks SharePoint Developer and Business Process Analyst Joint Communications Support Element
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 7:17 PM

Answers

• Well I feel pretty dumb. It turns out that this particular view had never been used for a BDC before (we were upgrading our 2007 BDCs). The permissions of one of the database views were not set to SELECT for public. After one 'bad egg' it appears all BDC external content types fail. After deleting all the bad ECTs, setting permissions on the SQL View, and re-creating the ECTs, the views all worked correctly. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.
    Noelle Marchbanks SharePoint Developer and Business Process Analyst Joint Communications Support Element
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 10:43 PM