none
How to have a list workflow to email me ***once*** every day - Email should have all items where column "Expiry Date" is due in 3 days? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

(Sorry this is SP 2013 question, posted by mistake in 2010. If Admins can change category that will be appreciated.)

How to have a list workflow to email me once every day - Email should have all items where column "Expiry Date" is due in 3 days?

Please note: We need single email daily, containing all relevant items (and not one email for each item).
    CanNOT use WSP/Visual Studio. So have to use SP Designer.

Thanks.

• Edited by ran009 Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:34 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since you’re unable to use PowerShell/WSP solution, my suggestion is that you can trigger workflow everyday using retention policy.

Suppose that you have many items in List A, you need to send email (contains all items which will expire in 3 days) every day. You can create a new List B with only one item, create a workflow which loops all items in List A to filter out items you need and sends email. In List B, you can create a retention policy, which triggers workflow every day.

How to loop all list items via 2013 designer workflow for your reference:

https://weblogs.asp.net/ricardoperes/looping-through-list-items-in-sharepoint-2013

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by ran009 Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:14 PM
    Friday, January 27, 2017 6:51 AM

All replies

• Here you go

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/7be77b5d-c686-4b33-b30c-204f7ffcd569/how-to-send-reminder-email-for-every-2-days-after-due-date-occurs-in-sharepoint-2010-workflow?forum=sharepointadminprevious

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 8:26 PM
  • This one as well

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/a5d6f601-af35-4f17-9e68-19ef306ba7c9/how-to-set-spd-workflow-to-send-email-one-day-before-the-due-date-?forum=sharepointcustomizationprevious

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 8:27 PM
  • Hi Lakshmanan

Both of these links email about only one list item - what I need is a daily email (one single email) digest that contains ALL relevant list items - so my boss receives one email for 'n' items and not 'n' emails a day.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:03 PM
  • There is not such feature out of the box as far as know. Either you some third party workflows like K2 or Nintex or Workflow Foundation workflow.

As an alliterative you can create a view and send that link where it shows only items that will be expired based on last modified or custom column (expiry date). 

Or you can even use Content Query webpart to pull all them at on place and send the link in email. That would be a best practice.

ANJI Y

Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:45 AM
  • Hi AnjiY,

That actually will not work in our case - we need the email to all relevant items.

Any other thoughts will be welcome.

Thanks.

• Edited by ran009 Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:49 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:49 AM
  • If you don't have the 3rd party tools to set up a recurring site workflow, a decent alternative is to use a Windows Scheduled Task on one of your web front end servers to trigger the execution of a PowerShell script that can query SharePoint and send the desired emails.
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:54 PM
  • Unfortunately, our company policy does not allow server access/PowerShell/WSP solutions.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

Thanks so much.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:33 PM
  • A no-code, no 3rd party option is to set up long-running single-item workflows that start upon item creation and pause for 1-24 hours, then check some condition, and based on that condition (e.g. Expiry Date is less than three days from now) either pause again or send the notice.

To make it so that the workflows don't send an email per item, but rather one aggregate email with details of all items, you could have the individual item workflows create new items in a separate list with the relevant information (instead of sending an email). You can then set up a daily alert on that list, so you'll get one email on any day that items are added to it.

Friday, January 27, 2017 1:26 AM
  • Hi,

Since you’re unable to use PowerShell/WSP solution, my suggestion is that you can trigger workflow everyday using retention policy.

Suppose that you have many items in List A, you need to send email (contains all items which will expire in 3 days) every day. You can create a new List B with only one item, create a workflow which loops all items in List A to filter out items you need and sends email. In List B, you can create a retention policy, which triggers workflow every day.

How to loop all list items via 2013 designer workflow for your reference:

https://weblogs.asp.net/ricardoperes/looping-through-list-items-in-sharepoint-2013

Thanks,

Dean Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by ran009 Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:14 PM
    Friday, January 27, 2017 6:51 AM
  • Hi ran009,

Did you test the steps I provided?

If my reply is helpful to you, you can mark as answer.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 1:16 PM