none
Workflows with Lookup columns in SharePoint Designer RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a Workflow that triggers a mail on creating an item when these conditions met.

If a column "A" contains or equals to value India and If column "B" does not contains or not equals to values "HYD, GNT, CLX, BZA"

Then trigger a mail to "X" person

Can you please provide detailed walkthrough for creating this workflow which would help me in getting more idea working with Workflows

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Sri Prakash Mallela,

It is by design, when you use the lookup column in the workflow condition, it will only have “equals” and “not equals”.

So you could copy the value of the lookup columns to other columns, then you could add other columns in the workflow condition.  For the normal columns, it will have all conditions in the workflow condition.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 1:51 AM
  • Hello,

Copy the value from Lookup column to Workflow variable and then work with contains condition.

Thanks,

Viral.

Monday, June 20, 2016 10:38 PM

All replies

To create a workflow which will be triggered on creating an item, you could select the “start workflow automatically when an item is created” in start options in the workflow settings.

According to the your requirement, you have two conditions, one is “a column "A" contains or equals to value India”, the other is “column "B" does not contains or not equals to values "HYD, GNT, CLX, BZA"”.

For one condition, you could add workflow condition is “If Current Item:A contains India”, it will check if column A contains or equals to value India.

Add another condition “column "B" does not contains or not equals to values "HYD, GNT, CLX, BZA"”, you should list all the permutation and combination of the values "HYD, GNT, CLX, BZA", it will be 15 different combinations. These combinations are {HYD}, {GNT},{CLX},{BZA},{HYD,GNT},{HYD,CLX},{HYD,BZA},{GNT,CLX},{GNT,BZA},{CLX,BZA},{HYD,GNT,CLX},{HYD,CLX,BZA},{HYD,GNT,BZA},{GNT,CLX,BZA},{HYD,GNT,CLX,BZA}.

You should add 15 conditions for not equals and 15 condition for not contains.

There is an example like the picture below:

After that, add the send email action under the condition.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by croute1 Wednesday, June 15, 2016 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 3:44 AM
  • I am not able to create the keyword "contains", "does not contain" as provided in the above example

I get this when i type if "If value equals value" .

And also would you please more details as how did you get the values as "India" in the above example

Prakash Mallela

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 6:32 PM
  • Hello,

What is the type of column you referring in workflow?

Thanks,

Viral.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 11:18 PM
  • Lookup column

Prakash Mallela

Thursday, June 16, 2016 12:57 AM

It is by design, when you use the lookup column in the workflow condition, it will only have “equals” and “not equals”.

So you could copy the value of the lookup columns to other columns, then you could add other columns in the workflow condition.  For the normal columns, it will have all conditions in the workflow condition.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Thursday, June 16, 2016 1:51 AM
  • Thanks Sara Fan for explaining the reason.

So is there way that i can implement the workflow based on my request.

Prakash Mallela

Thursday, June 16, 2016 2:06 AM
  • Hello Everyone,

Is there a way to implement upon my comments provided above

Prakash Mallela

Monday, June 20, 2016 10:35 PM
  • Hello,

Copy the value from Lookup column to Workflow variable and then work with contains condition.

Thanks,

Viral.

Monday, June 20, 2016 10:38 PM