none
Access 2010 application corrupts frrequently RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Access 2010 application that corrupts frequently while I'm programming. I'll write some new code and compile it, then when I do a Compact and Repair (or simple close and reopen the app), Access quits working and throws the error message that the database is corrupted. The corrupted file cannot be restored with /decompile.

The problem is getting more frequent. At first it only happened occasionally. I read somewhere that this happens when you're debugging an app and do a Reset, then start modifying code without doing a compact and repair after the reset. So I stopped doing that. But now it's happening all the time. If I do more that half-an-hour of simple programming, with no debugging, the database will be corrupt the next time I do a compact and repair.

In case this is relevant, the application is large--around 25,000 KB. It was originally an Access 2003 mdb app, but was converted into Access 2010 accdb. The conversion was several months ago, but this problem just started happening a few weeks ago. The app uses mostly linked SQL tables, with only one or two local tables.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Friday, January 11, 2013 10:04 PM

Answers

• Make sure you have ALL the updates to Access. I had this problem a year ago which was fixed with a hotfix.

peter n roth - http://PNR1.com, Maybe some useful stuff

• Marked as answer by Mike Storms Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:55 PM
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:54 AM

All replies

• Make sure you have ALL the updates to Access. I had this problem a year ago which was fixed with a hotfix.

peter n roth - http://PNR1.com, Maybe some useful stuff

• Marked as answer by Mike Storms Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:55 PM
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:54 AM
  • If Peter's suggestion doesn't work, then I suggest importing everything into a new empty shell and then do your Compact & Repair Then Compile.

HTH

Chris Ward

Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:55 AM
  • And make sure you do NOT change the code while any forms are running in form view instead of design view.

Bob Larson, Access MVP 2008, 2009, 2011

Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:35 AM
  • Thanks, Bob. Good tip. I probably have done that sometimes.
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:15 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

How is it going with the problem now?

Please feel free to let us know if you need any help.

Have a nice day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:52 AM