none
how to add public users (not in active directory) to SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to add public users (not in active directory) to SharePoint 2010. Is it possible? or is there any work around to achieve it?

i want to create a list containing their data and allow them to login and log out.

• Moved by Clayton Cobb Sunday, April 3, 2011 4:04 PM Setup question (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Questions and Answers)
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 2:33 PM

Answers

• hi, out of the box, SPS 2010 supports both Windows and Forms Authentication, you cannot use both of them together, can't you create a new site with Forms authentication?

Yes, you CAN use both of them together.  You could do it in 2007, too, except you had to extend the web app.  In 2010, you have to use a Claims Mode web app to leverage FBA, and you can include Windows Auth in the same web app.

Soha, you have to set up an entire membership and role provider using SQL server and ASP.NET.  The info will not be in a list unless you maybe connect to that membership DB with BCS and an external list.  This is a significant architectural question, decision, and implementation.  Are you the architect for this implementation?  (Moving to the Admin forum)

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Proposed as answer by Christian Stal Sunday, April 3, 2011 5:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, April 15, 2011 5:30 AM
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 4:04 PM

All replies

• hi,

out of the box, SPS 2010 supports both Windows and Forms Authentication, you cannot use both of them together, can't you create a new site with Forms authentication?

Sunday, April 3, 2011 3:54 PM
  • hi, out of the box, SPS 2010 supports both Windows and Forms Authentication, you cannot use both of them together, can't you create a new site with Forms authentication?

Yes, you CAN use both of them together.  You could do it in 2007, too, except you had to extend the web app.  In 2010, you have to use a Claims Mode web app to leverage FBA, and you can include Windows Auth in the same web app.

Soha, you have to set up an entire membership and role provider using SQL server and ASP.NET.  The info will not be in a list unless you maybe connect to that membership DB with BCS and an external list.  This is a significant architectural question, decision, and implementation.  Are you the architect for this implementation?  (Moving to the Admin forum)

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Proposed as answer by Christian Stal Sunday, April 3, 2011 5:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, April 15, 2011 5:30 AM
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 4:04 PM