none
Approval Workflow Reminder never ending

Question

• Hi all,

I have a standard OOTB SPD Approval Workflow configured for a content type in my library on SP2013 Standard. It all works fine and I do not have problems with exactly the same other workflows for any other content type in that library.

For one content type, someone has published a major version of a document in November last year and it initiated approval. The document was not approved for a while so the first reminder triggered. The files was then approved but the reminder is still being sent to the approver every Sunday afternoon.

We tried to locate this workflow task and deleted it. We even deleted the files. I switched off approval for that content type for a week to see the result. The reminder is still being sent by the system. the approver gets pretty annoyed now. How to resolve the problem of this unnecessary e-mail being sent out?

Regards

Monday, February 9, 2015 10:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Lukas,

try this to locate the workflow

https://sharepointworkflowdashboard.codeplex.com/

also check this script

http://geekswithblogs.net/bjackett/archive/2010/07/12/powershell-script-to-find-instances-of-running-sharepoint-workflow.aspx

also check this

Site URL
    $web = Get-SPWeb "http://urlforsite.com";
    $web.AllowUnsafeUpdates = $true;    

#List Name
    $list = $web.Lists["ListName"];

# Iterate through all Items in List and all Workflows on Items.         
    foreach ($item in $list.Items) {
    foreach ($wf in $item.Workflows) {

#Cancel Workflows        
    [Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowManager]::CancelWorkflow($wf);      
    }
    }
    $web.Dispose();

Kind Regards,

John Naguib

Technical Consultant/Architect

MCITP, MCPD, MCTS, MCT, TOGAF 9 Foundation

Please remember to mark your question as answered if this solves your problem

• Proposed as answer by Mokhtar Bepari Monday, February 9, 2015 10:58 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lukas_UK Monday, February 9, 2015 11:23 AM
    Monday, February 9, 2015 10:55 AM
  • John,

The first link - although useful is from Codeplex and we cannot use codeplex staff in our farm.

Second link, the PS script does not take into account workflows on content types. Mine is a content type workflow.

Your PS sctript- I cannot stop all the workflows in the list as they are relied on with our document approval. The troubled workflow is not in progress any more, the task has been manually stopped and deleted and the file on which the approval was on was deleted too. So not sure what to do...

Monday, February 9, 2015 11:23 AM
  • Any answers anyone? How to track down this troubled timer job sending this reminder e-mail by mistake???
    Friday, February 20, 2015 9:18 AM
  • Anyone?
    Monday, March 9, 2015 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

I assume you associates the SharePoint 2010 OTB workflows to Libraries , based on this some of my tips that you can look into.

Can you please verify the below timer jobs on your server up and running without any issues ?

1. Notification timer job
    2. Scheduled Approval
    3. Workflow Failover and
    4. Immediate Alerts

and also ensure is there any updates on column , means adding or removing column in the content type, may be sometime the form (.xsn) associated with content type disassociates with the OTB workflow.

Murugesa Pandian| MCPD | MCTS |SharePoint 2010

Monday, March 9, 2015 2:05 PM