none
How do I make a picture span two pages in Word? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an image 10" wide by 27" tall.  I paste it into a word document, adjust the paper to 11x17 and the margins to 0.5", click PRINT, and I only get the first 16 inches on the front of the paper.  I would like to print it so it automatically splits and puts the first 16 inches on the front of the paper, and the remainder on the back.  Is this possible?

Monday, September 13, 2010 6:50 PM

Answers

• That's strange, in older versions of word, I specifically remember pictures being split because they didn't fit on one page.

EXCEL has always been able to (and still can) split graphical objects across pages. Maybe that's what you have in mind :-)?
    Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by TPLrtn Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:26 PM

All replies

• An object (picture) in Word cannot span more than one page.  What you would have to do is insert two copies of the picture, one on each page and crop each one accordingly so that the two (cropped parts) will make the whole.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"TPLrtn" wrote in message news:d2294591-a039-47bd-8abd-99d087971ac7@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have an image 10" wide by 27" tall.  I paste it into a word document, adjust the paper to 11x17 and the margins to 0.5", click PRINT, and I only get the first 16 inches on the front of the paper.  I would like to print it so it automatically splits and puts the first 16 inches on the front of the paper, and the remainder on the back.  Is this possible?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:27 PM
  • That's strange, in older versions of word, I specifically remember pictures being split because they didn't fit on one page.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:08 AM
  • They would have been split manually, probably in the manner that I mention as Word has never had the ability to have objects span more than one page.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"TPLrtn" wrote in message news:2a02cfd1-8c89-48c3-8d8f-96bcdd8d6473@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

That's strange, in older versions of word, I specifically remember pictures being split because they didn't fit on one page.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:11 AM

EXCEL has always been able to (and still can) split graphical objects across pages. Maybe that's what you have in mind :-)?
    Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by TPLrtn Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:26 PM
  • I also remember a time when word would do this as well. I was just trying to do this and noticed it doesn't have that feature anymore.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:03 AM
  • I also remember a time when word would do this as well. I was just trying to do this and noticed it doesn't have that feature anymore.
    Your memory is faulty. As has already been said, Word has never had such a capacity.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:18 AM
  • I just used Excel to print my pattern across multiple pages and it works just fine. Thanks for the info.

I have also done this by converting and or saving as a PDF file and scaled it to fit in Page Setup.

• Edited by Lucienalta Friday, November 3, 2017 2:03 PM
    Friday, November 3, 2017 1:44 PM