none
SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow is huge. Need to understand why. RRS feed

• Question

• I have one SPD workflow in which the workflow files are huge. Please see attachment. All other workflows I have designed have .xoml filkes in the kb range. This one is over 80 MB!

I'd like to understand what the .xoml and .xoml.rules files are in general terms, and how I  may be able to slim down this workflow's footprint.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Cheers from Texas!

Leon Bryant

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:14 PM

Answers

• It may be a corruption in workflow causing this issue

I assume workflow history is not causing this issue

How did you generate the second screenshot. Let me know if we can repro issue on our machines

If this helped you resolve your issue, please mark it Answered

Monday, September 29, 2014 10:10 AM

All replies

• Hi littlerivermedia,

I suggest you can open the large xoml file using SharePoint Designer and check the detailed content in the file.

Also, you can compare the content with other xoml file to see the different between them.

More information:

http://www.mstechblogs.com/paul/how-to-find-and-edit-spd-2010-workflow-xoml-files

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 8:23 AM
  • Wendy, thanks so much for your suggestion. I looked at those workflow files in SharePoint Designer, and am even more puzzled now. I'm attaching 2 screenshots. One is from SPD, and the other is the info displayed when I look at that workflow in the Storage Metrics reports in the site collection. The first shows my .moxl file at 213 KB. The second shows it at 47 MB!

Any idea why I see that discrepancy? I may need to go to our IT folks about this one.

Thanks again!

Leon

Leon Bryant

Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:14 PM
  • Hello Leon,

Do you have any update?

We are currently looking into this issue and will give you an update as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:39 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going? I would like to know if workflow work well if we re-run the workflow after reboot.

Best Regards,

Dats Luo

Monday, September 29, 2014 9:56 AM
  • It may be a corruption in workflow causing this issue

I assume workflow history is not causing this issue

How did you generate the second screenshot. Let me know if we can repro issue on our machines

If this helped you resolve your issue, please mark it Answered

Monday, September 29, 2014 10:10 AM