This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have developed an automation application which is used by a translator application to read Word files of source language and generate Word files in destination language. The problem with my application is that sometimes, as the translator application is working and is in the middle of reading and generating Word files, a dialog box appears telling “This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose ‘Switch to’ to activate the busy program and correct the problem ”. I want to know why this dialog box appears and how I can fix the problem.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 7:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Hamidreza,

This dialog box generally comes when the server (Word in your case) is busy or waiting for an operation to finish, and an application tries to communicate with it (e.g. via an Object Model call). The reason of a server being busy could be that it is either displaying a dialog box and waiting for someone to responsd to it, or it is in the middle of a length operation and couldn't reply to the incoming call in timely manner.

As you are automating Word, try setting its visibility to TRUE so that you could see what is going on in Word at that time, when you get this "Switch to..." message box.

HTH,

Manvir Singh
    http://www.manvirsingh.net/

• Marked as answer by Amy Li Thursday, September 9, 2010 1:50 AM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 1:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Hamidreza,

This dialog box generally comes when the server (Word in your case) is busy or waiting for an operation to finish, and an application tries to communicate with it (e.g. via an Object Model call). The reason of a server being busy could be that it is either displaying a dialog box and waiting for someone to responsd to it, or it is in the middle of a length operation and couldn't reply to the incoming call in timely manner.

As you are automating Word, try setting its visibility to TRUE so that you could see what is going on in Word at that time, when you get this "Switch to..." message box.

HTH,

Manvir Singh
    http://www.manvirsingh.net/

• Marked as answer by Amy Li Thursday, September 9, 2010 1:50 AM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Hi Hamidreza,

How is this issue going on in your side? Have you solved the problem?

Best Regards,
    Amy Li
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 1:52 AM
  • Hi Hamidreza G,

I will mark the answer for the thread. Any further questions, please feel free to follow up. Thank you!

Best Regards,
    Amy Li
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 1:50 AM