none
DCOM Component Services Missing!! Help!

Question

• Just the other day I was tinkering around with the DCOM Config objects in Component Services, specifically the Microsoft Word Application object. I customized security and took it away so that nobody had access to it to test something out.. big mistake. Here's my issue, as soon as I clicked Okay, 90% of my DCOM Config objects disappeared :| . I need them back! With research I have been pushed towards focusing on security changes in the Registry, apparently the issue lies there.. I have gotten this far but am completely clueless as what to do next, some please help me out!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:08 PM

Answers

• Okay guys, so this is what I ended up doing. Totally didn't bother messing around with the registry, so I backed up my files to a network drive, then did a system restore to a point before the incident occurred and now everything is back to normal! One thing should be noted, if your having problems with Windows Registry... its safe to say you screwed yourself nice and hard. 
    • Marked as answer by Arjun.a Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:17 PM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:17 PM

All replies

• I just tried un-installing and re-installing Microsoft Office, did not do a damn thing! I'm definitely screwed here ... If someone knows anything about the Registry, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Hey guys I got this from a post this morning on a different forum.. Can anyone clarify this?

Hi ArjunA. The only notes I can find on this are:

Removed the CLSIDs that were prefixed by xxx_ in the CLSID section of the registry on each server. After removing this DCOM components have reappeared.

I can't say this rings a bell so have no other advice than above I'm afraid. Worth a check even if it may be a laborious task!!

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Okay guys, so this is what I ended up doing. Totally didn't bother messing around with the registry, so I backed up my files to a network drive, then did a system restore to a point before the incident occurred and now everything is back to normal! One thing should be noted, if your having problems with Windows Registry... its safe to say you screwed yourself nice and hard. 
    • Marked as answer by Arjun.a Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:17 PM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:17 PM