none
Form authentication and sharepoint designer RRS feed

• Question

• After I enable form authentication in a site, I no longer be able to access that side via sharepoint designer. I got a message "The server could not complete your request. Contact your internet services provider or web administrator to make sure the server has frontpage server extensions or sharepoint services installed." Of cause, I have all these installed and I was able to access the site components via sharepoint designer when it was windows authentication. There must be a security issue because the change of site authentication method. As suggestion? Thank you.

Friday, June 26, 2009 5:43 PM

Answers

• The best practice is to create an AD-authentication site and then EXTEND that site collection (creating a separate URL and web.config file for the same site).  That way, you have a forms-auth URL as well as an AD-auth URL.  I hope this helps.

Kyle

Friday, June 26, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Create a sitecollection using Windows Authentication. Extend that site to different zone assigning different URL. Apply Form Authentication in extended site. 

So now you can open windows authentication site in SD. Change you will do in Windows Authentication site, will automatically reflects in Extended version.

Refer document for extending WebApplication. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287954.aspx

Regards,
    Milan
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:04 PM
  • SharePoint Designer can't recognise the forms authentication.  As the above users have said, but you should be extending the web application, you need to:

* Open Central Administration
    * Click on Application Management
    * Click on create or extend web application
    * Extend an existing web application
    * Choose the web application
    * Create a new web application (enter a host name with port 80 or port) and pick the intranet zone.
    * Once created edit the policy for the intranet zone (policy for web application on application management page)
    * Choose windows authentication

Typically with forms authentication you start off with a windows authentication web application and extend this to use forms authentication.  So if you already have a web application for windows authentication use SharePoint Designer against this web app.

Hope this helps

Dave
    My SharePoint Blog - http://www.davehunter.co.uk/blog
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:24 PM

All replies

• The best practice is to create an AD-authentication site and then EXTEND that site collection (creating a separate URL and web.config file for the same site).  That way, you have a forms-auth URL as well as an AD-auth URL.  I hope this helps.

Kyle

Friday, June 26, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Create a sitecollection using Windows Authentication. Extend that site to different zone assigning different URL. Apply Form Authentication in extended site. 

So now you can open windows authentication site in SD. Change you will do in Windows Authentication site, will automatically reflects in Extended version.

Refer document for extending WebApplication. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287954.aspx

Regards,
    Milan
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:04 PM
  • SharePoint Designer can't recognise the forms authentication.  As the above users have said, but you should be extending the web application, you need to:

* Open Central Administration
    * Click on Application Management
    * Click on create or extend web application
    * Extend an existing web application
    * Choose the web application
    * Create a new web application (enter a host name with port 80 or port) and pick the intranet zone.
    * Once created edit the policy for the intranet zone (policy for web application on application management page)
    * Choose windows authentication

Typically with forms authentication you start off with a windows authentication web application and extend this to use forms authentication.  So if you already have a web application for windows authentication use SharePoint Designer against this web app.

Hope this helps

Dave
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Thank you all for your quick responses.

This is a web application for outside users. So we may need SSL for this site (I am waiting for my boss's decision). I have two questions for extend the web application (port 80).

(1) What zoon I should choose. Dave said I should pick the intranet zone. For outside users, should I choose Internet or Extranet instead. What is the different between these 3 choices?

(2) Is this correct that I should make the current web application AD authentication and the extended site to be form authentication (outside users will access this site)?

Friday, June 26, 2009 6:37 PM
  • The zones are just descriptive so pick one that suits you.  I wouldn't change the current web application, extend to create the new web application for windows authentication.  As it will be used for internal use, you could use a port number so you need to be logged onto the server (unless its the SharePoint farm is in a locked down DMZ).
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:52 PM