none
What do I need to know to be ready for an email migration? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I am thinking of migrating my email from the on-premises Exchange Server to the cloud. But as I have never been a part of any migration process before, I am not sure if I know enough for myself to ensure that my migration process goes smoothly.

What are some important things that I must take care of when migrating? In other words, what do I need to know to be ready for an email migration?

Is there something I should be doing? Something I should perhaps avoid? 

Please let me know.

Thank you! 

Trent

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi

Im sure your other question is similar to what you just asked?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 5:18 PM
  • Hello Edward,

Thank you for the reply. 

Actually, my other question was far too geared towards the migration only. Essentially, it was focused on the technical aspects of the process.

This question, however, is from an organizational/managerial point of view. As a manager, what should I keep in mind regarding an email migration? In other words, what could be the managerial and strategic implications of the process on my employees?

Thanks,

Trent

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:13 PM
  • https://cobweb.com/whitepapers/item/microsoft-office-365-email-migration

this link is not provided by Microsoft and is on an as is basis I make no guarantees about the content or that it wont change.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:56 PM
  • Hi there

Well firstly, your end users are your clients. Migrations if done properly with the right communication to your "clients" will set there expectation of downtime, access to mail and possibly moving to a newer version of office.

Employees feel it when migrations fail or take longer than expected. some of them don't like working on 2 platforms, Outlook for the old and OWA for the new until the migration is done. 

You should think of your approach as what will be best for the business? Cutover, staged migration etc. What is the SLA for the business in terms of downtime of email?

Look at the plan for archiving, you can get a 100GB mailbox on Office 365 for the execs and pay for the E3/5 license and look at smaller plans for other users.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:20 PM