none
Permissions Basics

Question

• Hello

I have created 6 document libraries (visible in Site Contents).  I have created 6 corresponding groups (under Site Settings -> People and Groups -> More ).

My goal is to make it so each Library can only be viewed\edited\opened by their corresponding group and if you are not in the group you can see that the library exists but not open any of the contents.

Can someone point me to a link\doc or instructions that explains how i might accomplish this?

thanks

• Edited by shawnd17 Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:23 PM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• You have to set permission for each item level. If you set permission to folder level, non group member can read document but can not modify those document. If do not wants this functionality, then you have to permission for each item level.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Lalith

----------------------------------------

Please mark as Answer, if this post solves your issue.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:11 PM
  • so it looks like i need to go into each of the 6 sites (document libraries) 

gear ->  Library settings -> Permissions for this document library

select stop inheriting permissions (which copies all the parent permissions and then kills future inheritance )

Now i can add an admin (with full control) and the appropriate group (with Edit access)

Once they are there i can remove all the built-in groups from permissions (just from this library)

then the only people with permissions to mess with this library will be the admin and the one group I added.

Does that sound correct?

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:21 PM
  • yes Correct.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Lalith

----------------------------------------

Please mark as Answer, if this post solves your issue.

• Marked as answer by shawnd17 Monday, May 08, 2017 5:46 PM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:23 PM
  • Hi Shawnd,

Any update on this?

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:01 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, you’re correct.

More details about how to manage list/library permissions in SharePoint for your reference:

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Edit-and-manage-permissions-for-a-SharePoint-list-or-library-02d770f3-59eb-4910-a608-5f84cc297782?ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB

If replies are helpful to you, you can mark as answer.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 24, 2017 8:56 AM