none
Refresh Existing Data Connections RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to update existing data connections in an InfoPath form posted on a SharePoint site.

Here's the situation:

We created an InfoPath form for our SharePoint site and added a data connection to it. The data connection pulls from an excel already uploaded on our SharePoint site. Every month we update the data connection with an updated file. My question is, is there a way to refresh the existing data that's already been entered into SharePoint using the old data and replacing it with the latest data without going into every single entry and refreshing it manually?

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi kkm2015,

I need to collect the following information to further troubleshot the issue. 

How did you added the data connection pulls from an excel already uploaded on our SharePoint site in InfoPath form?

Have you published the infopath form to form library?

Have you set the excel data as column values in the form library?

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:04 AM
  • Hi Lisa, please see below for answers to your questions:

1) How did you added the data connection pulls from an excel already uploaded on our SharePoint site in InfoPath form?

I uploaded the excel sheet into the site contents page and opened the form we have on our SharePoint site in InfoPath (you can do this in the settings) and updated the data connection to pull from the new excel sheet I just uploaded. Then I publish the InfoPath form and it automatically begins to pull data from the new excel sheet.

2) Have you published the infopath form to form library?

Yes

3) Have you set the excel data as column values in the form library?

Yes

• Edited by kkm2015 Thursday, October 24, 2019 6:23 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 6:23 PM
  • Hi kkm2015, 

How did you updated the data connection to pull from the new excel sheet? Please share the detailed steps.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, October 25, 2019 6:35 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Here are the detailed steps:

1) Upload the excel spreadsheet to the site contents in SharePoint.

2) Find the InfoPath form in site contents and go to "Settings". Once here, click on "Form Settings". This should open up the form in InfoPath.

3) From here, click on the field that the data connections is connected to and update the data connections utilizing the "Manage Data Collections" wizard. Link this to the new excel spreadsheet that was just uploaded to the SharePoint site contents. 

4) Publish the updates and the InfoPath form should now have the updated/new data from the excel spreadsheet uploaded in step 1.

My question is how I can refresh the old entries with the new data without having to manually enter each record and click on the data field to update the record with the new information.

Thank you!

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 4:28 PM