Bug with CU November 2017 for SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Do not install CU November 2017!

November 14, 2017, cumulative update for SharePoint Server 2013 (KB4011251)

After installing CU December 2017, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents will not updated in the document library and you will receive of the following error message:

• You can’t save Test.docx becasuse the file is read-only.
    • Sorry, we could not open http://de.sharepoint .com/Shared Documents/Test.docx
    • We couldn’t contact the server, so we opened an offline copy That was up to date as..

Does anyone have a solution for this? CU October 2017 works ok!

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Konsult- make sure you're only using the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer. Make sure all SharePoint add ons are enabled, especially opensharepointdocuments class. Make sure you're site is in the trusted sites and run it in compatibility mode.

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 2:13 PM
  • Hi Cameron!

Thanks for your feedback. A company that has hundreds of employees, you can not force employees to do all this. CU October 2017 does not require such restrictions. Any solution must be server-side not client-side.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 3:22 PM
  • I get your point, but, hey, it's MS and you gotta do what you gotta do to fix the issue. Either way, if you don't take those steps, you're going to keep running into the issue in the future.

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 3:31 PM
  • I get your point, but, hey, it's MS and you gotta do what you gotta do to fix the issue. Either way, if you don't take those steps, you're going to keep running into the issue in the future.

cameron rautmann

IE 64bit has been supported for *years*. In fact, there's no need to even use IE. There are very specific cases where IE is required, but then even 64bit complies with those cases (Export to Access/Excel, Silverlight components).

So using IE 32bit is never a correct answer.

In order to start diagnosing this one, I'd suggest breaking out Fiddler on the client side while at the same time setting ULS logging to VerboseEx. Another option would be to remove the Office Document Upload Center to see if that resolves it. I'd also try, just for testing purposes, using Windows Explorer to open the file from SharePoint and seeing if you encounter the same issues there.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 3:52 PM
  • FYI- in our environment, 64-bit cannot be used. We must use 32-bit or a lot of the functionality doesn't work. I've also seen many MS admins provide that as a solution in a lot of threads.

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 4:42 PM
  • Again, hasn't been true for years. The SharePoint PG fully supports IE 64bit with SharePoint 2013+.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt493256(v=office.16).aspx

While the contingent staff may give that as an 'answer', it's not correct again with a handful of exceptions for non-Microsoft browsers.

I can't speak to your specific environment and configuration, but previously in various internal IT and consultancy positions, most companies ran IE 64bit while using SharePoint 2010 and above with no issues.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 4:50 PM
  • Sorry for pushing this, but that information isn't correct as far as my experience goes. And, there's absolutely no mention of 64-bit support.

I have not been able to use any other browser except IE 32-bit and have everything work. Maybe our IT department doesn't have everything set up correctly to work with all browsers/modes, but I'm sure there are a lot of others experiencing the same issues as I do with them.

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 4:58 PM
  • It sounds like you have a single environment where this is an issue. As an administrator of 20+ environments, your statement has not been correct for years. And no, there is no mention of 64bit support, because it supports both 32bit and 64bit for all of the listed browsers. Your statement was absolutely true with SharePoint 2007 due to specific ActiveX controls not being available in a 64bit flavor, but that was resolved with SharePoint 2010 for the most part, and completely with SharePoint 2013.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:03 PM
  • I apologize to Konsult for this. We're obviously not addressing the issue with our conversation. I think we need to step back a bit.

As you know, I've recommended this solution in a lot of posts, and have helped numerous people fix their problem with it. You are probably correct that 64-bit is compatible, however, if my "non-answer" helped others, how is it that it is "never a correct answer?"

You need to consider other situations that may not be 64-bit compatible for whatever reason. Different environments have different answers as you're aware of.

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 6:07 PM
  • You're using the word "compatible", and IE 64bit is compatible with SharePoint. You may say that you cannot use IE 64bit in your environment for whatever reason, but the way you're phrasing it makes it sound like a product compatibility issue, when it's clearly not the case at all.

We're currently waiting for Konsult to get back to us on the questions I asked to narrow down the issue.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 6:09 PM
  • Hi !

Thank you everyone for contributing to the discussion. Some comments and answers to questions that have been asked.

• IE 32bit and IE 64bit works fine for us (with CU before November 2017)
    • We have tested in 3 different environments and the results are the same.
    • The result with Windows Explorer is the same
    • ULS logging with setting to Verbose and without setting to Verbose is attached 
    • It's not the first time that CU has bug, CU May 2017 had bug too, after installing CU May 2017 you can not create site collection through Central Admin
    • We have decided not to proceed with CU November 2017. We will wake up to CU December 2017, with the probability the bug will be fixed with the CU December 2017, otherwise we will install CU October 2017 in the production environment.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 10:49 AM
  • ULS logging without setting to Verbose
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 10:58 AM
  • We had the same problem and spent many hours on the phone with Premier Support. You can read about the solution at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/rodneyviana/2017/12/05/after-updating-sharepoint-2013-to-november-2017-cu-or-later-you-may-not-be-able-to-open-documents-with-office/. That entry was just posted yesterday.

Jeff

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

How are things going? Have you solved your issue?

Is the suggestion provided by Jeff helpful for your issue?

If you think it is helpful, you could mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 15, 2017 3:10 AM
  • I am also planning to Apply November CU (Original plan was to Apply October update However that When tested broke Site creation Capabilities :Caused by :CVE: CVE-2017-11820  & there was November Foundation update which fixed it https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011256/november-14-2017-update-for-sharepoint-foundation-2013-kb4011256

)

After Testing November CU , I didn't find such issues :We always Run the Command with Switch as explained here ;https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/rodneyviana/2017/12/05/after-updating-sharepoint-2013-to-november-2017-cu-or-later-you-may-not-be-able-to-open-documents-with-office/  (Second Command with more Switches)

-Our IE is 64-Bit version (Window 10) and IE -32bit (Window 7)

-After Psconfig completed successfully sound Dll version Same as mentioned above Blog

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:25 PM