none
Outlook 2007/2010 combined development RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi there,

I need some advice on how to adjust my develoment setup. I am developing an Add-In for Outlook 2007 and 2010. It is not very complicated and just inserts a button in the tool bar of the Explorer. Currently I have 2 separate projects, one for 2007 and one of 2010. I also develop them on separate computers because I was not able to get Outlook 2007 and 2010 working on the same machine together.

To further complicate things, the 2007 version runs on .net 3.5 and 2010 runs on 4.0. I recall having to make the change to run on 4.0 because the shared PIA wasn't available last summer. Not really important, I just wanted to get something out quickly. Most of my code probably works with .net 2.0. My 2007 and 2010 code is not much different, mostly just with the new ribbon changes.

My question is, can I develop for 2007 and 2010 on the same machine? Could I even have just one project, ie a version that works for both? (there might be complications with building installers for 64 bit on 2010, i understand)

My current set up is a COM add in with c#, VS 2010, Outlook 2007 installed on my main developing machine.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 5:45 PM

All replies

• You certainly can develop using that setup for both versions. Just don't use any Outlook object model properties/methods/events added in 2010. The same installer can be used for both for 32 bit, you just need to write bootstrappers for handling PIA checking and installation if needed.

If you use Framework 4 on both setups you could even embed any needed Pea's and not have to deploy them. For that you'd use Office 2010 installed on your dev machine.

You cannot have 2 versions of Outlook running on the same machine. Any attempts to do so will probably screw up both installations.

I develop mostly with shared addins where I support Outlook 2003 - 2010 in one project. I'd have a separate installer for 64-bit Outlook 2010, otherwise everything is shared.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"George Stavrev" <=?utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFN0YXZyZXY=?=> wrote in message news:c375744b-a927-4325-bda1-a568709ca5b8...

Hi there,

I need some advice on how to adjust my develoment setup. I am developing an Add-In for Outlook 2007 and 2010. It is not very complicated and just inserts a button in the tool bar of the Explorer. Currently I have 2 separate projects, one for 2007 and one of 2010. I also develop them on separate computers because I was not able to get Outlook 2007 and 2010 working on the same machine together.

To further complicate things, the 2007 version runs on .net 3.5 and 2010 runs on 4.0. I recall having to make the change to run on 4.0 because the shared PIA wasn't available last summer. Not really important, I just wanted to get something out quickly. Most of my code probably works with .net 2.0. My 2007 and 2010 code is not much different, mostly just with the new ribbon changes.

My question is, can I develop for 2007 and 2010 on the same machine? Could I even have just one project, ie a version that works for both? (there might be complications with building installers for 64 bit on 2010, i understand)

My current set up is a COM add in with c#, VS 2010, Outlook 2007 installed on my main developing machine.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Thank you for the helpful response Ken. I think a shared add in something I need to move to, 2003 supports sounds doable that way.

-George

Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:34 PM
  • What you need if you use a shared addin is a shim to place the addin in its own AppDomain. That's part of what VSTO does for you. Use the COM Shim Wizard in VS to create your shim, and separate shim for 64-bit Outlook.

There are a couple of blog articles by Misha Shneerson of the VSTO team about how to do a 64-bit shim.Misha's blog is at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mshneer/ and has some great stuff.

Also don't miss Andrew Whitechapel's blog, he was the co-author of the shim wizard with Misha and has some great stuff on using COMImports to handle ribbon and other interfaces without PIA support. That's how you can support the ribbon in an addin developed against the Outlook/Office 2003 PIA's: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/andreww/

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"George Stavrev" <=?utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFN0YXZyZXY=?=> wrote in message news:bee98f66-f54d-416b-a8e3-48c24136f363...

Thank you for the helpful response Ken. I think a shared add in something I need to move to, 2003 supports sounds doable that way.

-George

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:37 PM