none
Project Owner/Assignment Owner/Status manage and Task Assignment View RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Am a bit confused about how the task assignment visibility works in PWA.

Myself and another project manager (Harry) run separate schedules (P1 & P2) but both use the same resources from time to time.

I set the projects up, I am an owner of both and have made myself the default assignment owner of all the resources used on both schedules. The resources we use don’t access project, so we both do the status updates.

In P1, under task usage, I am listed as Assignment owner for each resource and status manager for each task. In P2, Harry added the tasks in schedule but I went in (task usage) and changed the assignment owner to his name and also noted that he was listed as the status manager. Note however, that I am still the project owner of P2 as well as P1.

When I view the tasks in PWA (project centre) I can still see the task assignments, although, some of them is missing. Harry can view this one of the task assignments but no others, even though his name is now listed as Assignment owner/status manager for everything in P2.

Am I missing something here?

Should I be changing Harry to the project owner of P2 and should I leave the resource default assignment owner as themselves and just nominate the status manager for each project?

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, you should see all tasks in the Project Center/schedule. As soon as you can access a project plan from the project center, then you can see any tasks, whoever the status manager and assignment owner are.

Then for Harry, if indeed he is the assignment owner of tasks, he should see them all. Harry should check that he is the assignment owner and publish again the project. Also it would be relevant that Harry is project owner for P2.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:19 AM
  • Thanks Guillaume.

So is there a way we can both see all the summarised tasks on P1 and P2 in project centre or can we only see the task we have assigned ourselves?

Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:41 AM
  • Hi,

Then it is a matter of security model, ie categories and groups assuming you're using Project Server permission mode. I think that by default, Project Managers see only their projects but you can check that opening the "my projects" category which is associated with the "Project Manager" group.

If you want to set a configuration for all your PMs, you can update the "my projects" category in the "projects" section. If this is an isolated need only for a given project, I'd rather suggest to add the 2 project managers in P1 and P2 project team, so it'll give access to both projects to both PM in the Project Center.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:25 AM