none
How long does SharePoint take to show a new item in a search? RRS feed

• Question

• I am noticing today that new items are not showing up in a list search when searching by title.  Does it take a certain amount of time before search indexes new items and can show them?

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 10:35 PM

Answers

• Hi run4it.

The new items are added to the index after all the crawls have been completed, therefore it will surely take a certain amount of time for them to appear in searches' results.
    You have to configure scheduled incremental crawls for the index to be frequently updated by including newly added items.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

• Edited by Luigi BrunoMVP Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by run4it Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:32 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi

Please check your crawl status, when did the last crawl job run?

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 1:06 AM
  • Hi run4it,

Yes, newly added items need to be crawled to be displayed in the search, which takes a certain amount of time.

If you want to display new items immediately, you can perform incremental crawls manually.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 9:25 AM
  • Hi run4it.

The new items are added to the index after all the crawls have been completed, therefore it will surely take a certain amount of time for them to appear in searches' results.
    You have to configure scheduled incremental crawls for the index to be frequently updated by including newly added items.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

• Edited by Luigi BrunoMVP Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by run4it Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:32 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:02 PM
  • Thanks.  I talked with our SharePoint server admin and it was set to incremental crawl every night and full crawl once a week.  I had him change it to continuous.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:32 PM
  • Thanks.  I talked with our SharePoint server admin and it was set to incremental crawl every night and full crawl once a week.  I had him change it to continuous.

Continuous crawling is available starting from SharePoint 2013, not in SharePoint 2010.
    If you're using SharePoint 2010 you need to set incremental crawls with the proper frequency to make the index being constantly updated, but remember to monitor the farm's performance: Search can put a certain load on the SharePoint servers.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 6:40 PM