none
Loading XSN file in a Web Application (without SharePoint 2010 InfoPath Forms Services) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Step1

In my company's intranet, I have a SharePoint 2010 environment. I have created a new SharePoint form library and published an InfoPath 2010 to it for users to fill.

Step 2

At an external internet hosting provider, I have a .NET Web Application hosted on their IIS server (no SharePoint available).  I would like to render the XSN file created in step 1 above on a web page in this Web Application. When the user publishes the form, it would be published to my FTP server where I will have a Windows Timer Services reading the FTP server folder and upload any valid files to my SharePoint Library in Step 1 above.

Constraint

I can not extend the SharePoint Web Application created in step 1 to the "internet zone" because of security concerns.

Question

Since I do not have SharePoint 2010 (InfoPath Forms Services) installed on the .NET Web Application server (step 2)

-how can I render the XSN file on the web page (with no SharePoint installed)?

-Is there a control available from Microsoft or any Third Party that would allow me to render an XSN file in a browser?

-Any other alternatives?

Thanks,

Jef

Jean-François Guertin Entreprise Solution Architect PrimeTime Consulting | 1-581-997-4911 | www.consultprimetime.com | jefg@consultprimetime.com Certifications Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010 Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 and 2010 Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
    Friday, January 20, 2012 8:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jef,

I am not sure that I totally understand, but you could activate document conversion on your SharePoint server and convert your InfoPath form to an ASPX-file.

That would give you the form in read only.

You can choose which view you to convert so you could create a view just for this purpose.

Does that help in any way?

/niax

http://marriedtosharepoint.com

Friday, January 20, 2012 9:58 PM
  • This procedure will allow you to render a read-only version of the form (I don't think full edit capabilities can be done outside of SharePoint).

This is for InfoPath 2010, but similar steps work in 2007

1. In InfoPath designer, create a view that looks the way you want the form to look on the web site (web_view in this example)
    2. Save the template as source files.  From the File tab, select Publish and Export Source files.
    3. Locate the template.xml and the web_view.xsl and copy them to your web project. The xml file is the form data and the xsl is an XSLT for converting the data to HTML.
    4. Create a web page with code to run the XML through the XSLT using your favorite Xsl Tranform tool (such as Microsoft's XslTranform).

Notes:

• I've used this in conjunction with commercially available HTML-to-PDF tools to create PDF documents.  They generally look OK, but not "professional quality"
    • If the form template changes, you'll need to update the XSL file on the web site.
    • The InfoPath xsn file is really a .CAB file, which means you can write code to automate the extraction of form data to upload to the web site (how-to here).

Friday, January 20, 2012 10:46 PM
  • There is no feature nor provision for this.  If you want to use InfoPath in the browser, it requires the Enterprise version of SharePoint.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:55 AM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:05 PM