none
Vacation Request Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, here is probably a super easy one for most out there, but I am trying to create a Vacation approval workflow in SharePoint Designer. 

I have a calendar on my HR site called "Employee Vacation" then I created a list and customized it in InfoPath and added that to the page as well.  What I am trying to accomplish is when an employee fills out the "Time Off Request Form" it will start a workflow that will go to the few people that handle time off request, who ever will approve or deny it, and an email will then be sent back to the employee of the decision.  If approved I then need the workflow to add the new item to the "Employee Vacation" Calendar.  Screen shot of what it looks like below.  Any help is greatly appreciated!!

DOC

Monday, January 4, 2016 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Doc,

There is nothing wrong with your steps.

The email is designed by default to tell you the process starts.

If you want to disable it, go to Approval(*)”->change the behavior of the overall task process->in the “when the task process starts” section, delete the email action:

There are also email actions in "when the task process canceled and completes", if you want to disable them, you can delete them.

If it is helpful to you, please mark it as answer. If you still have problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

CY

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by ViviSP Friday, January 8, 2016 7:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by DocHalliday87 Friday, January 8, 2016 8:09 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2016 1:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Doc,

For creating the workflow, you should create a new column in your custom list: status(single line of text column).

Please refer to the workflow:

In step1:

Click “Approval(*)”->change the behavior of the overall task process->in the “when the task process completes” section, add the actions:

In step2:

In step3:

In addition, set the workflow start when an item created.

Best Regards,

CY

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 8:40 AM
  • Thank you for the reply!  This is really good information for me to learn more about workflows and how they work.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 4:30 PM
  • Thank you for the help!! I am trying to do the step below, but it does not give me the option to add "Set Status to Approved", I can only add a "then Set Workflow status to approved" again.

In step1:

Click “Approval(*)”->change the behavior of the overall task process->in the “when the task process completes” section, add the actions:

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 5:01 PM
  • Hi Doc,

The action is called "set field in current item" instead of "Set Status to Approved".

In addition, here are three sections, you should add the action in section 1:

If you still have problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

CY

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 1:39 AM
  • Hi Doc

Any update?

Best Regards,

CY

Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:01 AM
  • Thank you for checking in.  I found the action "set field in current item".  All steps are now complete.  Not sure if I did something wrong but when I fill out the Time Off Form I get an email, and that is as far as it goes.  Will attach some screen shots below.  Again, thank you for the time and help!!

Thursday, January 7, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Hi Doc,

There is nothing wrong with your steps.

The email is designed by default to tell you the process starts.

If you want to disable it, go to Approval(*)”->change the behavior of the overall task process->in the “when the task process starts” section, delete the email action:

There are also email actions in "when the task process canceled and completes", if you want to disable them, you can delete them.

If it is helpful to you, please mark it as answer. If you still have problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

CY

• Marked as answer by DocHalliday87 Friday, January 8, 2016 8:09 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2016 1:45 AM
  • That is great to hear, thank you for the help so far!!  One more question\issue, when I receive the email I have the option to click "view the status of this workflow" when I do that there is no where for me to approve\deny the request.  It also says that "each person will receive a task to approve" and I do not receive any tasks.  Screen shots below.

• Edited by DocHalliday87 Friday, January 8, 2016 1:52 PM new pictures
    Friday, January 8, 2016 1:37 PM
  • Hi Doc,

Are you sure you have added your name in the action below?

If yes, there will be an item in the "tasks". Then you can click title to approve\reject it.

Best Regards,

CY

Monday, January 11, 2016 1:27 AM