none
Adding a Sharepoint document library field to content type in Word documnet library RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Word-based document library. I have added a "CoSA" selection field to the General Administration content type, whcih is presented after you select your upload file. When you "Add" a document, the content type dialog opens and you can select a CoSA, which is then promoted to the library.

But when you create a "New" document, you do not see the content type dialog. Does anyone know how to FORCE the content type dialog to open when a "New" document is created?

Thanks!

Leon Bryant

Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:26 PM

Answers

• Thanks, Mike! Well, I figured out the issue. I was adding a Choice column of type "Look up information in another collection."

Evidently, that's not supported. Once I changed it to a standard choice column it appeared in the Word document property panel and was editable.

I could use a lookup choice column as loing as the lookup list is in the same collection.

Live and learn, eh!

Really appreciate the support from you and the other MVPs!

Leon

Leon Bryant

Friday, December 5, 2014 8:03 PM

All replies

• If you click the dropdown in the New button (in the File ribbon) you should see a list of the content types available in the library. Once Word has opened you can edit the properties in the Document Information Panel (just below the ribbon). You will see in that panel document properties and server properties (the SharePoint properties).

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Books: SharePoint 2007 2010 Customization for the Site Owner, SharePoint 2010 Security for the Site Owner

Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:05 PM
  • I have a Word-based document library. I have added a field (choice) to the base content type, which is presented after you select your upload file. When you "Add" a document, the content type dialog opens and you can make a selection, which is then promoted to the library.

content type.png

But when you create a "New" document, the Word's document properties panel opens and you see the custom property from the library, but it is grayed out and says "Edit properties on server."

Anyone know what's happening? Shouldn't i be able to edit the value of the property in the Word document?

Thanks!

Leon Bryant

Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:42 PM
  • Yes you should be able to edit it. I just did a test with Word 2010 and Choice, Lookup, Choice with user added and Managed Metadata all worked.

Which version of Word are you using?

Does this Content Type have a custom InfoPath Document Information Panel?

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Books: SharePoint 2007 2010 Customization for the Site Owner, SharePoint 2010 Security for the Site Owner

Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:58 PM
  • Thanks, Mike! Well, I figured out the issue. I was adding a Choice column of type "Look up information in another collection."

Evidently, that's not supported. Once I changed it to a standard choice column it appeared in the Word document property panel and was editable.

I could use a lookup choice column as loing as the lookup list is in the same collection.

Live and learn, eh!

Really appreciate the support from you and the other MVPs!

Leon

Leon Bryant

Friday, December 5, 2014 8:03 PM