I am having inconsistent results using the spell check feature when editing a custom list. Sometimes, the spell check does not return any spelling errors when there are indeed spelling errors. This inconsistent behavior can be seen by repeatedly spell checking the item (meaning I don't need to close it and re-open it to see the behavior).
I found no errors in the SharePoint logs or IIS logs. I ended up using Fiddler, and looked at what was happening when _vti_bin/SpellCheck.asmx was accessed. I saw the following (in this example, I misspelled "being" as "bein"):
When it correctly found the spelling error, the response was:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><soap:Body><SpellCheckResponse xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/publishing/spelling/"><SpellCheckResult><errorCode>Ok</errorCode><detectedLanguage>1033</detectedLanguage><spellingErrors><SpellingErrors><chunkIndex>4</chunkIndex><flaggedWords><FlaggedWord><word>bein</word><type>UnknownWord</type><offset>116</offset></FlaggedWord></flaggedWords></SpellingErrors></spellingErrors><spellingSuggestions><SpellingSuggestions><word>bein</word><sug /></SpellingSuggestions></spellingSuggestions></SpellCheckResult></SpellCheckResponse></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>
When it did not find the spelling error (and displayed "No Spelling Errors found" to the user), I see the following:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><soap:Body><soap:Fault><faultcode>soap:Server</faultcode><faultstring>Server was unable to process request. ---> Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.</faultstring><detail /></soap:Fault></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>
Any idea what could be causing this?
Couple of questions if you don't mind:
Are you guys using FAST Search for SharePoint? (We are; I am curious if you are as well)
Have you tried using the webservice on another web application? (Our works for the MySites web application)
Have you seen anything in the ULS logs? (See below for an Access Denied message in our ULS logs)
ULS Log entry for one specific request: (I've stripped out the first part of the entry which showed date & time, etc.
Entering monitored scope (Request (POST:https://intranet.company.com:443/_vti_bin/spellcheck.asmx))
Name=Request (POST:https://intranet.company.com:443/_vti_bin/spellcheck.asmx) 663292a9-02b8-4787-b82f-49fba8a2e11c
Medium Site=/ 663292a9-02b8-4787-b82f-49fba8a2e11c
Access denied. 663292a9-02b8-4787-b82f-49fba8a2e11c
Leaving Monitored Scope (Request (POST:https://intranet.company.com:443/_vti_bin/spellcheck.asmx)). Execution Time=20.7344788234259 663292a9-02b8-4787-b82f-49fba8a2e11c
Not sure if this will help you, but it may help others who come across this thread in the future.
The problem that we were seeing was not intermittent (happened on every request for Spell Check) and only happened for one web application. As it turns out, SharePoint 2010 SP1 installation fixed it for us.