none
Refinement webpart customization is not saved RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying to customize a refinement webpart in sharepoint online (change of refiners).

Customization goes well, and I can see a preview that corresponds with what I'm looking for, but when I click both "apply" or "OK" the following happens :

- the default refiners disappear,

- after a refresh of the page, the default refiners are coming back,

- when I go back to the list of refiners, my customization has disappeared.

I'm encountering the same issue using Chrome (version 73) and IE 11.

Thanks for your help

• Edited by Anthony_H Wednesday, May 8, 2019 7:15 AM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Anthony,

After you made the customization, have you checked it in and published it?

You need to check it in and publish the page after applying the customization.

Besides, you could watch this video to Custom Search Refiners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxcIdAk83k8

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:12 AM
  • Dear Michael,

Thanks for your support, unfortunately the solution you're proposing doesn't solve my problem.

Everything goes well (I even can see a preview of the refiners I've defined) for me until I click on OK after my customization (11'30 on the video).

After that click, the refiners' webpart is empty (netiher default refiners nor the ones I've parametered appear, even if I keep 1 or 2 of the default refiners in my customization).

When I check in, the default refiners are coming back but the customization I've made is completely lost (it doesn't appear anymore in the list of refiners when I'm going back to the customization).

I definitely think this is a bug but I'm helpless to solve it.

Any idea ? 

Thursday, May 9, 2019 9:45 AM
  • what browser do you use? Try to do the same in IE, FF and Chrome - will it still fail in all of them?

And I guess you perform check out of the page before to edit refiners web part.

Blog - http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com
    Dynamic CAML queries via C# - https://github.com/sadomovalex/camlex

Thursday, May 9, 2019 3:13 PM
  • Thank you for your response.

I already tried Chrome and IE and I've just tried FF... And the problem remains...

And yes, the page was checked out...

By the way, I've tried to create a new blank site outside of my current site collection to verify if the settings of the site collection or of the site itself were the cause of the problem. And, even with a brand new site, the problem remains...
    • Edited by Anthony_H Friday, May 10, 2019 8:02 AM
    Friday, May 10, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Hi Anthony,

Did you mean that the list of refiners change back to default settings if you go back to the webpart settings?

Per my test, I cannot reproduce your issue. Everything works fine in my environment.

My customization:

Test Results:

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, May 10, 2019 8:02 AM
  • Unfortunately, I cannot upload screenshot for the moment (my forum account has not been approved yet by admins).

If I do exactly what you've done on your first screenshot, the refiners webpart is being emptied ("created" refiner doesn't show). If I check in, the default refiners are coming back (FileType, DisplayAuthor, LastModifiedTime) on screen and the customization window (as shown on your first screen) shows the 6 default refiners back (FileType, contentclass, ContentTypeID, WebTemplate, DisplayAuthor, LastModifiedTime)

Friday, May 10, 2019 8:25 AM
  • do you have any firewalls in your organization? If yes - did you try to open Sharepoint Online site from outside of org network (e.g. from home) and try to edit web part from there? This is basic OTB functionality which should work.

Blog - http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com
    Dynamic CAML queries via C# - https://github.com/sadomovalex/camlex

Friday, May 10, 2019 2:52 PM
  • At home, the problem is the same. Even at home, I have to use my company's anthentication system to connect to SP.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:47 AM
  • Hello Anthony,

Did you find a solution to your issue ? I have exactly the same problem than yours.

I have checked with and without proxy, from several browsers and the issue is still the same.

Regards

Thursday, July 11, 2019 9:58 AM
  • Hello,

I have done some additional investigations and I have discovered that:

• When I try to use custom refiners in a custom Search center, I have the problem described above
    • However, if I configure custom refiners in the defaut Search Center, this is working well and as expected

In my case, using default Search Center is an acceptable solution, however, if someone of you know, I would appreciate to understand why this is not working in the case of a custom Search Center.

Regards

Monday, August 19, 2019 8:34 AM