none
Revisions Collection Misbehaving RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone else experiencing this problem.

Revisions collection does return the proper count but I cannot access the objects: not through the document object, selection object or range object,e.g

For each oRev in myrange.revisions

'do something

next orev

That behaves as if there are no revisions and doesn't throw an error.

Same thing addressing revisions by index, eight by looping or set orev = myrange.revisions(2)

it all works fine in Word 2010.

My build is Office insider slow o365 Proplus and I hope to answer the question without changing the install.

1903 11425.20204 32 bit.

Curious to know if others find the same problem.

Thank you.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 11:57 PM

Answers

• The issue is more likely to do with a faulty Office installation rather than a Word fault, per se. Hence the repair suggestion. Reinstalling rarely fixes problems that repairing won't. It's also possible the document has acquired some form of corruption.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by JW2030 Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:25 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 12:51 AM

All replies

• What are you selecting or applying myrange to? It is quite reasonable for nothing to be returned if there's no revisions in the selection or myrange.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, April 19, 2019 9:24 PM
  • Oh there are plenty of revisions in the range. If you poke the count, it gives the correct count but just won't allow me to get handle on individual revisions.

As noted, the code works perfectly in Word 2010.

I'm hoping someone can say yes, or no it isn't happening to me. Otherwise I will have to assume my machine is broken as a result of too many installations. I have changed the install from 32-bit to 64 bit and back a few times so it would not surprise me if glitches in that process have broken my machine. I don't have time for a machine rebuild right now so would like to avoid it if all for naught.

Or, perhaps it is a brand new breakage in the Office insider build ... IDK. If some kind soul could test out that simple loop in o365 and confirm whether it is or is not broken in a production or target build of o365 Word, that would be most helpful.

Monday, April 22, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Have you tried repairing the current Office installation (see: https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/repair-an-office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b)?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, April 22, 2019 8:48 AM
  • Not trusting the repair to work properly when using an Office insider build and up against a deadline. Bitten once, twice shy!  If you cannot replicate, it must be this machine. Next week I will be uninstalling 32-bit and reinstalling 64 bit and would lay odds that it corrects itself. This bug alarms me -- we must be able to trust the VBA to throw an error when there is an an error and in this instance it is not doing so. Looping through the revisions collection is a something I have been asked for only twice in 20 years of Word VBA programming. While it is not a mission-critical thing, it does beg the question "What else is not working and not throwing an error"?  Scary thought.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers back.

J.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 12:46 AM
  • The issue is more likely to do with a faulty Office installation rather than a Word fault, per se. Hence the repair suggestion. Reinstalling rarely fixes problems that repairing won't. It's also possible the document has acquired some form of corruption.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by JW2030 Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:25 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 12:51 AM
  • I'm thinking you are 100% correct that the install is faulty. There are no other sickness signs through, and it happens in a band new blank document with just a few revisions. Very strange. Thank you.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:25 AM