none
Differences between Access 2010 Web Databases and Access 2013 Web Apps

Question

• Can someone provide the pros and cons of using Access 2010 Web databases or Access 2013 Web Apps?

I have an existing application that I wish to web enable and have started doing so in both Access 2010 and Access 2013.

So Far I see:

With Access 2010, I can create forms with look and feel similar to desktop application. However concerned with reporting since I am used to writing sql queries against a SQL server backend. Since data is stored in SharePoint lists, I don't think I can do that. With 2010 I guess I will have to open on desktop to do reporting. Also will be unable to run weekly/daily  scheduled jobs that create or update records on the backend SQL server DB

With Access 2013, the forms lack the formatting capabilities like the desktop version. Or at least I haven't seen how to do that. So the interface looks crappy. My clients will not like that. However the data is contained in SQL server 2012 tables which is great!  Haven't figured out how access the data directly from SQL Server but assume I can do so? Also assume I could have scheduled jobs that run? 

Am I correct in my assumptions above or missing some things? Documentation (particularly for Access 2013) seems to be slim or non existent. I have bought a few books and searched the internet for several weeks now. I appreciate any comments or pointing me to online resources where I might find some answers.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 5:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• With Access 2013, the forms lack the formatting capabilities like the desktop version. 

You are correct.

Haven't figured out how access the data directly from SQL Server but assume I can do so?

Yes, you can, check this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/accessdev/thread/0caa8980-1599-4a86-a7c3-c52fe3393db9

Andrey V Artemyev | Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 6:12 PM
  • Thanks Andrey And the Access 2010 data in SharePoint lists can not be accessed in SQL server for querying?
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 6:46 PM
  • In fact SP data itself is stored in SQL Server databases but not for a direct access. It's even not recommended to use it directly. I mean SharePoint now, it doesn't related to Access 2013 Web Apps. 

But in a couple of easy words - no, it can't be accessed for querying. Only for querying from Access using linked tables (linked to SP lists).

Andrey V Artemyev | Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 6:52 PM