none
'The page took too long to save...' error and IE8 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi people,

    I have installed Intenet Explorer 8 and started experience a problem. When my publishing page is in Edit mode and I click any link to navigate out to a different page IE8 prints 'Saving Page Content...' in its status bar for about 20 seconds and then displays a message box 'The page took too long to save...'. There were no such error with either IE7 or FireFox. After playing with Javascript debugging, I found that SBN_CallBackHandler() client function of SaveBeforeNavigationControl is not called as it supposed to. It looks like the implementation of XMLHttpRequest object in IE8 is somehow different from the previous release. I'm not sure if it is a bug of IE8 or SharePoint javascript but the problem exists. Fortunatelly, IE8 allows you to turn off its advanced setting 'Enable native XMLHTTP support' (enabled by default) in menu Tools/Internet Options/Advanced. It solves the problem but I would like to have more correct solution :-)  Any ideas?
    • Changed type Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 9, 2009 9:21 AM always use the question type so people get credit for their replies to you
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 9:09 AM

Answers

All replies

  • No ideas, but thanks for the workaround =)
    Friday, July 10, 2009 12:20 PM
  • @Sergioko - You are my hero ;)

    We are also having the same problem in Edit Mode and I was not able to find a solution and your solution of disabling 'Enable native XMLHTTP support' works like a charm!

    Thanks a lot!

    But yes, I think the SharePoint Team should be made aware of this bug. Anyone from the SharePoint Team can investigate this issue?. Thanks.
    Regards,
    Chakkaradeep

    Twitter: http://twitter.com/chakkaradeep
    Blog: http://www.chakkaradeep.com
    Friday, July 10, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Wow....this one has been killing me! Thanks for the workaround! Now if I could just find a workaround for Explorer View issue.....tried everything noted in MSDN and other sites...no luck.

    Thanks again!
    Friday, August 21, 2009 8:26 PM
  • I'm using IE7 and i'm having the same problem. I tried turning off XMLHTTP support. But still no clue.

    Any ideas?

    Thank you.
    Regards,
    Raghavendra
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:45 PM
  • Restarting the IE did the trick. But i cant tell all my authors to disable XMLHTTP support in their browsers. Is there a generic way to disable 'saving page content'?

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    Raghavendra
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:53 PM
  • One alternative is to remove the body.onUnload event handler. Sample code snippet which you can insert in your master page or .js file :

    <script type="text/javascript">
    _spBodyOnLoadFunctionNames.push("UnloadHandler");

    function UnloadHandler()
    {
    document.body.onUnload = "";
    }
    </script>

    I have also described the solution on my blog here
    http://vinaybhatia.blogspot.com/2009/10/sharepoint-ie-8-popup-issue.html

    Friday, October 2, 2009 4:50 PM
  • Thanks for your solution.
    Regards,
    Raghavendra
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 4:39 AM
  • I tried putting this javascript in the head tag, and went to your blog and tried just adding document.body.onUnload = "";  before the closing html tag, and I still get this error.  Am I missing something?  Shouldn't I just be able to copy your code into the head tag of my master page, and that be that?
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Thanks, this worked for me.

    Dean


    Dean MCTS-SQL 2005 Business Intelligence
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Vinay Batia:

     

    Do not propose your own posts as answers. It is not helpful.

    Wait for someone else to do so, in the meantime propose the good answers of other people.

    (Moderator)


    FAQ sites: (SP 2010) http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com; (v3) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com and (WSS 2.0) http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com
    Complete Book Lists (incl. foreign language) on each site.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:52 PM
  • This issue has been fixed in the April cumulative update of WSS/MOSS2007. Installing the latest WSS / MOSS2007 cumulative update will solve the issue (as updates are cumulative and contain all previous released updates).

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/fesiro/archive/2010/10/25/the-page-took-too-long-to-save-bij-het-opslaan-van-wijzigingen-in-de-content-editor.aspx

    A quicker workaround would be to disable 'Enable native XMLHTTP support' in Internet Explorer settings.

    In IE, point to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, disable ‘Enable native XMLHTTP support’

    Good luck!

    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:11 AM