none
Cannot delete objects from Access 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to convert a database written in Access 2003 to Access 2010. When I open the original mdb file with Access 2010, I cannot delete any objects. (I can delete objects if I open the mdb file with Access 2003 on another computer.)

I'm able to convert the mdb file to accdb format using Access 2010, but then I also cannot delete any objects in the accdb file.

I read another post about a similar problem, but that post talked about issues with Access workgroup security. My 2003 mdb database did not use any Access security. It did not require any log in. I also don't need to use any security in the 2010 accdb version.

Another, maybe related problem is that I cannot open the accdb file in exclusive mode. I get an error message that either it's already open by another user (not so) or I don't have permissions.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:32 PM

Answers

• You may have better luck by creating a new shell in Access 2010 and importing all objects.

Chris Ward

• Marked as answer by Mike Storms Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:37 AM
  • 1.  Try Compact & Repair and see if you can delete the object(s) after.

2.  Failing 1, try creating a new blank database file and import only the required objects from the existing database file.

P.S. Point 2 above may also help with the other problem (using UDF in the OnClick Property) also.  I would suggest even if point 1 succeeds, do point 2 as well and see if it resolves your other problem.

Van Dinh

• Edited by Van Dinh Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:03 AM P.S. added
    • Marked as answer by Mike Storms Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:39 AM

All replies

• Try closing the database and Access, wait for about 10 secs than check the folder where the database file resides.  If you see any locking file (LDB or LACCDB), delete it and finally, try opening the database exclusively again.

Sometimes, the locking file gets stuck for some unknown reasons and this can prevent you from opening the database exclusively stopping you from deleting objects.

Van Dinh

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:54 PM
  • Thanks Van. That did solve the problem of opening the file exclusively. However, it didn't fix the problem of deleting objects. Even when I successfully open the file exclusively, when I right-click over an object name, the delete option is still greyed out.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Make sure the file is in a trusted location and that you have full permissions on the folder.

Have you at any point ever received any type of warning message when opening the file?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:14 AM
  • You may have better luck by creating a new shell in Access 2010 and importing all objects.

Chris Ward

• Marked as answer by Mike Storms Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:37 AM
  • 1.  Try Compact & Repair and see if you can delete the object(s) after.

2.  Failing 1, try creating a new blank database file and import only the required objects from the existing database file.

P.S. Point 2 above may also help with the other problem (using UDF in the OnClick Property) also.  I would suggest even if point 1 succeeds, do point 2 as well and see if it resolves your other problem.

Van Dinh

• Edited by Van Dinh Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:03 AM P.S. added
    • Marked as answer by Mike Storms Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:39 AM
  • Thanks, Van. Compact and Repair did not solve the problem. As both you and Alphonse suggested, I just created a new 2010 database and imported all the objects.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:21 PM
  • I meant, as you and KCDW suggested....
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:22 PM